A1 Prime HD for Red Sea reefer 170

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so I bet the bullet and bought an AI Pre HD and mounting kit light system for my RS170 I won here.

I also bought a jebao DCT 4000 return pump.

What else do I need to make this tank great? I'm not trying to get too crazy, I don't keep really difficult coral and I'm really cheap. I feel like I bought an expensive light -- with enough features that I'll have absolutely no idea how to use.

I see all of these settings listed and apps needed -- dang...

I will be using it as a live rock and coral QT for 76 days before I add them to my display. It'll house clams as well.

With a tank that small, so I need a slimmer? I really dislike HOB skimmers. Advice?

I won't be setting it up until I move in to my new house in September.

burtbollinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set one up in December (https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/378847-burtbollingers-red-sea-reefer-170/)

from my experience only:

40+ gallons...probably get a skimmer. I'd go with the BM Curve 5 skimmer, goes in sump. Lots of folks recommend it for the 170...I'm very happy with mine.

IF no skimmer, I'd jam the main area of the sump with chaeto and light it with a Kessil h380 or something. (or your cheap alternative)

I'd put a Marinepure 8 x 8 x 1 plate in the small overflow area of the sump.

Other than that...I'd look into maybe an MP10 or a cheaper alternative for extra circulation.

Buy a few extra RS mesh filter socks...get a decent heater (and a reefkeeper lite or inkbird to control it), maybe look into ditching the RSM's very basic ATO. I don't like the stock one at all.

Probably get a small battery powered LED light for inside the stand so you can see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set one up in December (https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/378847-burtbollingers-red-sea-reefer-170/)

from my experience only:

40+ gallons...probably get a skimmer. I'd go with the BM Curve 5 skimmer, goes in sump. Lots of folks recommend it for the 170...I'm very happy with mine.

IF no skimmer, I'd jam the main area of the sump with chaeto and light it with a Kessil h380 or something. (or your cheap alternative)

I'd put a Marinepure 8 x 8 x 1 plate in the small overflow area of the sump.

Other than that...I'd look into maybe an MP10 or a cheaper alternative for extra circulation.

Buy a few extra RS mesh filter socks...get a decent heater (and a reefkeeper lite or inkbird to control it), maybe look into ditching the RSM's very basic ATO. I don't like the stock one at all.

Probably get a small battery powered LED light for inside the stand so you can see.
Thanks for the advice!

Also, perhaps a stupid question. My 170 is still on the pallet they shipped it on. Did yours come very collapsed and appear to be about the size of just the tank itself? Or did I get onkh the tank. It went right to storage and I remember thinking "I am impressed, how did all of this fit on this tiny space?"

burtbollinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice!

Also, perhaps a stupid question. My 170 is still on the pallet they shipped it on. Did yours come very collapsed and appear to be about the size of just the tank itself? Or did I get onkh the tank. It went right to storage and I remember thinking "I am impressed, how did all of this fit on this tiny space?"

yes, I think the sump may be inside the tank. Its a bit hazy.

Might be worth checking tho, make sure you have a sump included.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, I think the sump may be inside the tank. Its a bit hazy.

Might be worth checking tho, make sure you have a sump included.
It's in storage in its original wrapping, but I feel like you're right! Thank you.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Reefers now, a 350 and a Max Nano (170 without the sump).
The ATO's they include work great, but are very undersized. Unless you just enjoy filling it every 2-3 days, a new ATO container is a great upgrade.
The Prime is great light. Setup thru the IOS or Andriod APP is pretty easy, but I used my laptop instead.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you are off to a good start with advice. I set up my AI light with IOS and make my adjustments on the PC.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For someone that is technology illiterate -- I just want basic light! Features are cool but not why I bought it haha!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so that was not hard at all to set up.

Now I need to figure out what to adjust it to -- I have it on a temp tank a friend was moving and gave me his coral -- now to keep it alive for 3 more weeks!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally setting it up. 3/4 done!

0FEA3239-1796-44A7-90F0-98495C93F3A0.jpeg

@HotRockTarBaby and I worked on it this afternoon a lot!

Thanks @revhtree, build thread incoming!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back