5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just going to leave this here.
87C632E5-A611-480C-9159-6D31DE1B912A.jpeg

Please tell me this isn’t my worst nightmare
Sorry to say, you have amphidinium. It's the more difficult to battle. Not impossible.

Some steps others took to battle this was...

• Removing sandbed
  • Dosing N and P to 10ppm and 0.10ppm
  • Dosing Silicates
  • Adding UV Sterilizer
  • Seeding organisms via live rock and mud
  • Time.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem I found in my battle with Dino's is it is a long drawn out battle. It takes 6 to 8 months to slowly get them out of your system. But most hobbyist today want instant results and while you can knock them back they are tough and will come back. One needs to fix the under lying issue of super slow nutrients to the point that the only algae to survive is Dino's with out competition they go nuts.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My condolences @ChaseBurke :(

The problem I found in my battle with Dino's is it is a long drawn out battle. It takes 6 to 8 months to slowly get them out of your system. But most hobbyist today want instant results and while you can knock them back they are tough and will come back. One needs to fix the under lying issue of super slow nutrients to the point that the only algae to survive is Dino's with out competition they go nuts.

That certainly was true for me. I'm about 6 months from the last dinos I have seen and my tank is just now becoming able to support corals again. It has tried my patience severely.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I battled these for several months, then heard about the possibility of dosing silicates to increase diatoms in order to out compete the dinos. I purchased glasswater from amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZ3UOTP/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I also purchased a Hanna Silicate checker, then dosed the glasswater up to 2ppm. Over the next few days my sand bed looked worse and worse, and I thought the dinos were the culprit. Turns out it was looking worse from all the diatoms that were reproducing. I checked a sample under the microscope, and could hardly find a dino, it was all diatoms. I then let the diatoms use up the silicates, and they disappeared. My tank is now clear of both, and it took less than 2 weeks.

Please note this was my experience, and your YMMV. Good luck though!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChaseBurke

ChaseBurke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have been doing some research on Amphidinium and last Friday ordered sponge excel should be in Wednesday. Today i sucked out the top 1/8" or so of my sand bed and did a check on all my levels
ALK-8.1
CA-430
MAG-1360
N03-18-20ish
P04-.50
PH-8.2 @ 1:33Am
Sg-1.025
Temp-78F
Are there any downsides to do blindly dosing the sponge excel other than an increase in diatom production? What is what i want. Not talking dumping a whole bottle in but dosing 5-10 drops a day until i see production or increasing dose if there is no production. Also does my P04 seem way to high in relation to my N03? I remember reading something about the Redfield Ratio???

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SawCJack00 How long have you been dino free?
I checked my records, and I started dosing silicates on 8/23/18. On 8/29/2018 my sand bed looked even worse so I checked it under the microscope, and found out that there were no more dino's and it was all diatoms. I'm not sure how long that was the case. I stopped dosing silicates that day, and within 3 days the diatoms had disappeared, so by 9/1/18 my sand bed was clear. It has remained dino free since then.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 27 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.3%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 104 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back