About ready to throw my apex in the trash

JMello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I just got it. It’s a used unit. I don’t believe anything is wrong with it it has to be me.

First and foremost I have searched and tried everything I have found online at least 2-3 times.

First problem Neptune.
“Fail test b” and now it says “fail test a”

I’ve taken it apart and found lines undone (very common) plugged them back in. I’ve also used a syringe to prime all of them. As far as I can tell there is no blockage
It’s given me a couple alk test complete and one magnesium test complete. The lates problem is it some how back fed fluid into reagent b.

Second issue. Neptune ato
I’ve followed the instructions online to a T, and I can’t get it to work. Plugged everything in as it says and nothing. I’ve reinstalled it a couple times and nothing. Currently has the green light on. And is there supposed to be a tile on fusion so you can run it manually? I’d like to at least use the pump to manuall too off my sump

Thanks in advance for any help you can suggest. I’m very handy don’t mind taking things apart to diagnosis or fix.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd double check your connections on the Trident; there's really no way for reagents to get mixed if it's setup correctly.

As for the ATO, do you have the FMM module connected to an auxiliary power supply? (not just AquaBus) And yes, there is a tile for it (check your tile list with the unlock button).

OP
OP
J

JMello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd double check your connections on the Trident; there's really no way for reagents to get mixed if it's setup correctly.

As for the ATO, do you have the FMM module connected to an auxiliary power supply? (not just AquaBus) And yes, there is a tile for it (check your tile list with the unlock button).
Ok. Double checked connections. Although this time it didn’t overflow.

I also did Hanna hand test to confirm my numbers are all within spec and they are I read If they are too far off this can cause a failed b
C=455
M=1270
Alk=8.2

For the ato I have a power supply and the acinus cable. I had to buy an aftermarket power supply but when I plug just it in the light comes on so I assume it’s working.

The acinus line goes to the apex directly as well. And I’ve switched lines and ports to see if that helps.

It shows the ato on my apex fusion I just don’t see a tile for

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And I just got it. It’s a used unit.
Buying anything used is a buyer beware situation. You have no idea of the actual usage or what has happened to the controller in its past life other than someone's word that is trying to get rid of it.
Sounds like there may be something wrong. I have a trident going on 2 years running with no issues and an apex for nearly 5 with no issues whatsoever.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Double checked connections. Although this time it didn’t overflow.

I also did Hanna hand test to confirm my numbers are all within spec and they are I read If they are too far off this can cause a failed b
C=455
M=1270
Alk=8.2

For the ato I have a power supply and the acinus cable. I had to buy an aftermarket power supply but when I plug just it in the light comes on so I assume it’s working.

The acinus line goes to the apex directly as well. And I’ve switched lines and ports to see if that helps.

It shows the ato on my apex fusion I just don’t see a tile for
When you say "overflow", you mean...? Acinus cable or AquaBus cable? (Neptune gear only works with 1Link and AquaBus) The aftermarket power supply should be ok if it's 24v DC.

The FMM module shows up as a module under the module list. There will also be a tile for the configuration (it looks like a regular outlet tile and may have a generic name).

If you drop me a PM I can get you to set me up as a user so I can troublehsoot this for you.

OP
OP
J

JMello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say "overflow", you mean...? Acinus cable or AquaBus cable? (Neptune gear only works with 1Link and AquaBus) The aftermarket power supply should be ok if it's 24v DC.

The FMM module shows up as a module under the module list. There will also be a tile for the configuration (it looks like a regular outlet tile and may have a generic name).

If you drop me a PM I can get you to set me up as a user so I can troublehsoot this for you.
Yes that’s correct. I even reset the ato and still does t show up on my even under “adding new”.

For the Neptune, I’m going to go get some new reagent tomorrow. I don’t know what else to try besides that?

MrPike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you may have some hoses switched up in the trident for it to fill one of your reagents. You can send it to Neptune for a service if you don’t feel like rerouting tubes.

As for the FMM, I’d go ahead and throw it in the trash like you planned.

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t read the responses so apologies if this has already been discussed.

I seem to get a defective trident every time I get it “serviced”.

Anyway, that has resulted in me having extensive troubleshooting skills with it.

Have you checked the magnetic stirrer?

By this I mean when you watch the stirrer spin does it stay flat against the bottom of the cuvette? Here is a video of what I mean.

See if that is the issue and let me know. I’ll send ya info on fixing.

OP
OP
J

JMello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you may have some hoses switched up in the trident for it to fill one of your reagents. You can send it to Neptune for a service if you don’t feel like rerouting tubes.

As for the FMM, I’d go ahead and throw it in the trash like you planned.
I’m orettt sure the lines are in the right place but any idea where I can find a diagram online?

OP
OP
J

JMello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t read the responses so apologies if this has already been discussed.

I seem to get a defective trident every time I get it “serviced”.

Anyway, that has resulted in me having extensive troubleshooting skills with it.

Have you checked the magnetic stirrer?

By this I mean when you watch the stirrer spin does it stay flat against the bottom of the cuvette? Here is a video of what I mean.

See if that is the issue and let me know. I’ll send ya info on fixing.

Thanks that’s one thing I haven’t checked, that may be plausible because when it gives my alkalinity the number is really low

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that’s one thing I haven’t checked, that may be plausible because when it gives my alkalinity the number is really low
This is the problem i have seen when the test an and b fail intermittently and there are no line clogs. Some times it gives a result but then will randomly fail.

OP
OP
J

JMello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the problem i have seen when the test an and b fail intermittently and there are no line clogs. Some times it gives a result but then will randomly fail.
Thanks. That gives me a new place to look. I have it on a table in front of me now and I’m going through a prime of each one then I’ll run a test to see if it spins
update.

I uninstalled the unit. Reinstalled it.

Ran through a prime and watched it fill up and empty. Watched the reagent fill up and empty.

Then watched the magnet spinner spin.

Still has test b fail.

Going to walk through the trouble shooting guide again on neptunes site step by step

OP
OP
J

JMello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem solved. It was the reagents! Thank you everyone for the advice! So happy to have this thing finally working properly, now I can move on to all the other features.

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I just got it. It’s a used unit. I don’t believe anything is wrong with it it has to be me.

First and foremost I have searched and tried everything I have found online at least 2-3 times.

First problem Neptune.
“Fail test b” and now it says “fail test a”

I’ve taken it apart and found lines undone (very common) plugged them back in. I’ve also used a syringe to prime all of them. As far as I can tell there is no blockage
It’s given me a couple alk test complete and one magnesium test complete. The lates problem is it some how back fed fluid into reagent b.

Second issue. Neptune ato
I’ve followed the instructions online to a T, and I can’t get it to work. Plugged everything in as it says and nothing. I’ve reinstalled it a couple times and nothing. Currently has the green light on. And is there supposed to be a tile on fusion so you can run it manually? I’d like to at least use the pump to manuall too off my sump

Thanks in advance for any help you can suggest. I’m very handy don’t mind taking things apart to diagnosis or fix.
heres my experience: After the first 7 months of owning I had multiple problems with test failure messages and other issues. Ive done the syringe procedure four times and it didn't do anything. I’ve had the lines leak and fill up the trident tray with test solution. I’ve even taken it completely apart to clean and fix the lines and magnet in the top, and nothing worked. You’d expect something that costs 600 to last more than 8 months without having to be replaced or serviced, in hindsight it’s an absolute rip off @neptunesystems. Plus you have to pay an extra 300 for a service I believe, but I could be wrong about that.

Atleast build it well enough to not have test failures that quickly… then it would be worth it.
the apex energy bar system is fine but i only bought it so i could test my water with the trident and now its been sitting for a year and a half. sorry for my rant but it’s insane.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 97 80.8%
  • Other.

Back