About to pull the trigger on an Apex...what do you wish you knew before you got yours?

Bill_Moorman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you all know, this is quite the investment for my reef tank. Is there anything you wish you would have known prior to getting an Apex? Mainly I want to ensure stable parameters, and get alerts if/when things are starting to go bad so I can avoid a huge problem.

My current alk and calc demands are low, only dropping .3dKH daily and around 10ppm weekly of calcium. I’ve got a LPS dominant tank with a few SPS, all of which are thriving and growing. Coralline is starting to grow all over the back of the tank and on the rock work, which is exciting since the tank has only been set up since January.

Thanks in advance!

Mark Bianco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue and were talking Apex Classic years ago was that to do updates you need to be wired to a router. Not sure if that's been corrected or not yet. Perhaps someone with current models will chime in.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my advise to anyone that is picking up an Apex.

I dont think its that bad to set up, really. Its frustrating because we get an expensive box of goodies and want it to work RIGHT NOW! Which is expected, but I think there are a few things that you can do to lessen the anxiety.

1.) DONT unplug everything from your tank right away. Move things over to the Apex once you understand what its doing for you, whether thats replacing timers, activating outlets or monitoring parameters.

2.) Update your firmware FIRST (dont even attempt to route cords or open all the other shinies!)

3.) Work through the bits and pieces one at a time. Dont plug in all of the modules at once... you'll get sensory overload. Plug in your EB8, work with that first, then at pH, etc ,etc

4.) Use Fusion. The little screen that comes with the Apex is great for seeing what the temp is or starting a feed mode, but its crap for everything else. Use Fusion. Setting modules/timers/feeders/etc is SOOOO much easier this way. Have a light? Open the outlet and set it to "Light". Now you only have to add in what time you want the lights on and what time you want it off. Easy. Have a feeder - same deal. Make use of the presets first, then you can always go back and change them later and add in more descriptive and intricate programming.

5.) Name it all! Change the outlets to be labeled how you will identify things. Grabbing a label maker and labeling the EB8s and /or power cords can help troubleshooting immensely. If you dont have something plugged into the outlet, I leave the label alone. Once I realized that AMP_3 was the EB8 that corresponded to Outlet_3_7, then the system became easier. I now know that Outlet_3_7 is the 3rd outlet on the bottom row of the EB8 that corresponds to AMP_3 in my Fusion window.

6.) Watch your graphs and the output log! These tell you what is happening in your system. Did your light come on at 8am like you told Apex to? Check the log! Thats how you know. I see that my AMP_3 (which has my 800w heater on it) has intervals that correspond to the spikes in my temperature chart. Its these correlations that let me know what I want the Apex to do, its doing.

7.) Take advantage of the forums. Either here or where ever you are comfortable. Say, "Hey, I want my Apex to make my lights do "this". What do you do?" I'd bet you'll have the answers in no time.

You'll end up with a Fusion dashboard that looks like this in no time!

Capture.PNG

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my apex. Take your time. Setup one item at a time. Depending on you tank this could take a while. Setup your base unit, update it, hook up the EB8, move over outlets one at a time, then do you modules one at a time. Its very easy to use after you get used to it. Fusion is a life saver

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Wifi works but can be a little temperamental. Use a wired connection if possible
  • There have been issues with the ATK (optical sensors are unreliable, PMUP pumps are not very durable) Stick with your Tunze if you have it!
  • Get the 2016 version
  • ksfulk mentioned this, but take advantage of the Apex forum. There's a lot of useful info there and people who can help troubleshoot and/or answer your programming questions.

Nate77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set one up ,but from what I have learned so far , if you can't get it to connect to wifi threw your pc , try an ipad ,setting in my pc or router prevented it from connecting even with all security off.

Conductivity probe , put in you tank for awhile before yoi calibrate it , calibrate as close as you can to where your going to pick up, grab an extra packet of solution , and keep the cord away from other cords the best you can.
These were the most frustrating things for me.
I have my return pumps plugged into energy bar, ( haven't played with advanced yet) when I hit a feed mode ,pumps will turn off but won't come back on.

Dpate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had known that I could make an appointment with the help center for them to call me & help set up step by step! I’m pretty sure I couldn’t have done it on my own.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read through the comprehensive reference manual available on the Neptune site in the documentation section. Will save you from asking at least half of your questions.

After reading the Manual, which is a few years out of date now, it's also very useful to read all the sticky posts in the sub-forums here to get up to speed on the more recently added programming statements.

Basic setup of most Apex components isn't that difficult and can be done with a task wizard, but that's only the beginning of what you can do with an Apex once you learn to program it yourself. However you will generally come by this knowledge piecemeal, from various online documents and forum posts; there is no single source of in-depth advanced Apex programming suggestions and example code.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bill_Moorman

Bill_Moorman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on everyone! I will be ordering mine tomorrow. I’m excited yet nervous at the complexity of this controller.

jgann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many great tips - I setup my last system THEN read the manual. Take the time to look it over first.

Dpate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trigger has been pulled. Should have it in hand tomorrow evening. I’m scared y’all!

You will be fine! My son bought me mine last Christmas & I stared at it in the closet for two months ( I was also very nervous) before setting it up. Intimidating but you can always contact the help line & set up a phone appt to help you!

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my Apex's have 3, Get it set up update the firm ware, go slow if you can use a wired connection both of mine are wired the always work except when the dog unplugs the router. :mad:

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my advise to anyone that is picking up an Apex.

I dont think its that bad to set up, really. Its frustrating because we get an expensive box of goodies and want it to work RIGHT NOW! Which is expected, but I think there are a few things that you can do to lessen the anxiety.

1.) DONT unplug everything from your tank right away. Move things over to the Apex once you understand what its doing for you, whether thats replacing timers, activating outlets or monitoring parameters.

2.) Update your firmware FIRST (dont even attempt to route cords or open all the other shinies!)

3.) Work through the bits and pieces one at a time. Dont plug in all of the modules at once... you'll get sensory overload. Plug in your EB8, work with that first, then at pH, etc ,etc

4.) Use Fusion. The little screen that comes with the Apex is great for seeing what the temp is or starting a feed mode, but its crap for everything else. Use Fusion. Setting modules/timers/feeders/etc is SOOOO much easier this way. Have a light? Open the outlet and set it to "Light". Now you only have to add in what time you want the lights on and what time you want it off. Easy. Have a feeder - same deal. Make use of the presets first, then you can always go back and change them later and add in more descriptive and intricate programming.

5.) Name it all! Change the outlets to be labeled how you will identify things. Grabbing a label maker and labeling the EB8s and /or power cords can help troubleshooting immensely. If you dont have something plugged into the outlet, I leave the label alone. Once I realized that AMP_3 was the EB8 that corresponded to Outlet_3_7, then the system became easier. I now know that Outlet_3_7 is the 3rd outlet on the bottom row of the EB8 that corresponds to AMP_3 in my Fusion window.

6.) Watch your graphs and the output log! These tell you what is happening in your system. Did your light come on at 8am like you told Apex to? Check the log! Thats how you know. I see that my AMP_3 (which has my 800w heater on it) has intervals that correspond to the spikes in my temperature chart. Its these correlations that let me know what I want the Apex to do, its doing.

7.) Take advantage of the forums. Either here or where ever you are comfortable. Say, "Hey, I want my Apex to make my lights do "this". What do you do?" I'd bet you'll have the answers in no time.

You'll end up with a Fusion dashboard that looks like this in no time!

Capture.PNG

Such great advice.

My biased comments, no ORP or Salinity probes. I have the older one so I bought a bridge, $20, to connect wirelessly. I did not get the one recommended since it was not necessary. The $20 one worked fine.

Also, map out what equipment you have and how you want it to work before you start. This was extreamly helpful for me. Then thought about it more and made changes until the layout made sense. Have fun!

OP
OP
Bill_Moorman

Bill_Moorman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the thing I am most nervous about is how to do all the programming.

At this point, all I want it to do is control my dosing pump for my two part. My lights are self sufficient (via the AI Prime app), and I don’t have a ton of equipment. I do have a sump fan that I will hook up to turn on if temp ever gets above my range. That and controlling my heater.

Admittedly, it will be nice to have a feeding button hahah. Right now I have all my pumps on a power strip that I just flick off when feeding corals. I always set an alarm on my phone to remind me to turn it back on.

Admittedly, the controller world is foreign to me and intimidating, but I am stoked at the arrival of the trident.

Thanks for helping me out. I am sure I’ll be needing help moving forward!

OP
OP
Bill_Moorman

Bill_Moorman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I just realized I forgot to order a probe holder...any suggestions?

Can I just float them in the sump for the time being?

Apex mistake #1.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I just float them in the sump for the time being?
Yup; as long as they stay wet and are away from bubbles.

Note that I suggest you calibrate the conductivity probe before it ever sees water (if it's not too late). You want to start that one totally dry when calibrating it - which can take a day or so to achieve if it's been soaked already.

OP
OP
Bill_Moorman

Bill_Moorman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good there...don’t even have it yet lol.

I’ve got left over lexan from building my sump, I think I can make one pretty easy until I order one. So it needs to be away from bubbles?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 36 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 18.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back