About to start my first salt water tank

Currdawg12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to start my 45 gallon tank! I’m honestly doing one because I think coral look amazing and I’m really wanting to get a awesome reef growing. So my question is what are the best ones to start with and that aren’t to difficult to start out with. Cause at first I’m sure my tank will be all over the place as far as chemicals and salt go and I don’t want to put a coral in unless it’s somewhat stable.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef !!!
Good corals to start with are lps and soft coral but some softies can be highly invasive. Some good coral are:
Hammes
Frogspawns
Toadstool coral
Zoas
Leather coral
Pretty much after the ugly stage is when things start to become stable. Stay away from Nps, sps, and anemones.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R !!

There is a huge variety of corals. Some are easy to care for and some require perfect conditions 27/7/365.

You should start a build thread here. [emoji846]

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks.52/

It is recommended to wait at least a few months before adding your first coral.

Which corals have you liked so far?

Coral choice will determine how intense your lighting needs to be.

Some easier ,lol *non invasive*, first soft corals are corky finger,

neon green Kenya tree (not the regular, self fragging mess. The regular red/brown is beautiful, but can spread everywhere by dropping babies in the current),

Koji Wadi pink nepthea (lol, looks similar to regular Kenya tree but not a self fragging mess)

GSP green star polyp, but only at least 3 inches away from the regular rock structure. Lol this one is an invasive nightmare but only by oozing out purple matting. Many people use it on the back glass or on a separate rock. Beautiful coral, just respect its growth pattern and it is fairly easy to control.

Most regular frogspawn. Some of the more common varieties can be easier than softies.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back