Accidental Frags — do you mount “cheap” corals?

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was cleaning the tank and accidentally broke a chunk of red monticap. It got pulled into a very hard to reach corner of the tank so I basically eft it there to die. Thinking back, I would try every possible method to rescue a prized SPS frag, even a quarter-inch piece!

Am I alone? Should I feel guilty? Do you guys rescue and mount all frags knowing that your inaction might kill the animal?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep save em' all , normally don't glue ,but find another hole to stick it in... ;) :)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put them in a bucket and take them to the lfs and give them to them to deal with.

Sometimes when I am doing a major project I end up with so many fragments that some of them don’t make it back to the store. They are colonial creatures but the whole colony doesn’t survive but I usually have spread a lot of new colonies after I have had a coral for awhile.

Ef4life

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t feel bad about cutting grass that grows, I certainly don’t save the clippings.

Same with some coral, I will toss some of it no issue, montipora and birdsnest and many corals will need regular trimming, it doesn’t hurt to Save some pieces to have as backups or frags to sell or trade, but if you have a bunch of frags growing, and no room for new stuff, keeping stuff you don’t need or that isn’t “ worth” much costs money in dosing chemicals and time dealing with them so make your life easy and get rid of them.

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my frags go to the LFS to trade. Last batch bought me $100 worth of store credit. Save them all and trade up for more expensive coral :cool:
My LFS doesn’t give much store credit. Besides, it will cost me more in terms of time and gas to drive to the store and back for $2 credit.

I’ve been giving them away to friends and family but some of mine ended up killing them anyway since their tanks can’t keep SPS, even “cheap”
SPS.

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t feel bad about cutting grass that grows, I certainly don’t save the clippings.

Same with some coral, I will toss some of it no issue, montipora and birdsnest and many corals will need regular trimming, it doesn’t hurt to Save some pieces to have as backups or frags to sell or trade, but if you have a bunch of frags growing, and no room for new stuff, keeping stuff you don’t need or that isn’t “ worth” much costs money in dosing chemicals and time dealing with them so make your life easy and get rid of them.
That’s where I’m at actually. I’ve tried to kill monticap several times now but they kept coming back! They are treated as “weeds” now that tank real estate is a concern.

Having said that — part of me feels like a coral murderer! :(

Ef4life

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s where I’m at actually. I’ve tried to kill monticap several times now but they kept coming back! They are treated as “weeds” now that tank real estate is a concern.

Having said that — part of me feels like a coral murderer! :(
Get a calcium reactor and put the old coral in it while listening to the lion kings “circle of life” and laugh maniacally as the coral
Dissolves and feeds your coral their calcium and alkalinity in some sick twisted cannibalistic drip of effluent

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a calcium reactor and put the old coral in it while listening to the lion kings “circle of life” and laugh maniacally as the coral
Dissolves and feeds your coral their calcium and alkalinity in some sick twisted cannibalistic drip of effluent
Most definitely — very Disney of you. I was thinking of “The Silence of the Lambs” I’m Buffalo Bill! lol

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back