Acro eating snail

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a couple of small, @ 1/4", snails that were eating at my acropora's. They look like small Nassarius snails in shape and texture but their shells are stark white. I thought they were hermits making a house in small shells from my course gravel but tonight I found 2 around an are of receding coral.
Any and all help is appreciated!

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never would have thought these existed until I saw your post! I haven't had experience with these guys yet and hope I never do. Most of the research I've done suggests the best method would be manual removal and a follow-up dip and then continued monitoring.

Do you have pics to share? @Lionfish Lair has an awesome hitchhiker guide which this may help contribute to.

OP
OP
Salty1962

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately no pics since I removed the 2 I found and put them in the sump. @Lionfish Lair is also my go to for this stuff but thought I'd just throw it out here to help everyone. Like I said, it looks like a Nassarius snail's shell with shape and texture, just snow white.

jason_mazzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen white nasarius, so I'm guessing it's a whelk type. Is it possible that you have stn, redbugs, or aefw and the snails are eating the injured flesh?

Also algae grazers will eat micro algae on skeletal tissue.

Back