Acro ID - we just can't keep this one

pigmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone, we've tried twice to keep this acro, but just can't seem to keep them alive. can anyone help ID the variety?

it lkinda looks like a tenuis but isn't, the coralites are not perfect semi-circles, they're more pokey like a point on a star. or if you cut the letter "V" in half.

all our other acros are fine, it's just this type that never makes it past 2 weeks ;Drowning;Drowning;Drowning ticks me off! ;Rage

i figure if we can make a positive ID, we'd be one step closer to proper care. is it acopora vermiculata?

20191102_134315.jpg

20191102_134238.jpg

before rtn:

20191101_213744.jpg

Last edited:

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised @C. Eymann hasnt lent his expertise yet? I have one that sort of resembles this, it’s like a tenuis too, but the whole structure is skinnier than typical tenuis, I ***thought*** mine was subulata based on the description, but in pics, I just don’t know.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks close to a vermiculata for sure but the small clusters of coralites at the tips are throwing me off. Could just be where it was collected from though. The skeleton is reminding me of a Nasuta a little more than a Vermi though. I will let some others give some opinions since I am not that great at some ids.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a busy weekend for me.

vermiculata is a good guess,l ooking close at it, radilar walls on vermiculata are usually much thicker, and slightly more exert/flared out, where as OPs coral the look more immersed, also I see the radial corallites lip have a canted inward appearance like saw blade teeth, which brings me to my guess that its Acropora selago.

20191103_150845.jpg 20191103_150858.jpg 20191103_150927.jpg

OP
OP
pigmo

pigmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes these jerks look just like this! a. selago! it's our nemesis - where in the ocean do these live?

our conditions vary from an offshore reef to an inshore reef, what gives??? is selago a mucky dark lagoon coral? ;Drowning

1199947-1fd29436678aa908b5529f66e6c05c26.jpg

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes these ******** look just like this! a. selago! it's our nemesis - where in the ocean do these live?

our conditions vary from an offshore reef to an inshore reef, what gives??? is selago a mucky dark lagoon coral? ;Drowning

1199947-1fd29436678aa908b5529f66e6c05c26.jpg

From the looks of it A. selago has a very wide natural range, all they way
from Madagascar to the Red sea, to Japan, indo, Australia, Marshall's.

It does mention that it has been found on lower reef slopes, fringing reefs and even in turbid lagoons. -if you got a wild colony and it was collected from a turbid lagoonal patch reef vs a outer reef in more oligotrophic, nutrient poor waters. I could see it having trouble because of that dramatic change in environment.

I not totally sure why you are having trouble with this one,

I predict A. selago will become more and more popular in the trade I have seen both red/yellow versions of A. nasuta and A. selago's being referred to as "pickachu acro".

Here's a few write ups/ factsheets on the species, hope this helps you out !

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pigmo
Was out at the fish stores a few days ago and spotted this selago in one of them that looked very similar in color to the one you posted.
They have had it about a week, so far so good.
Maybe the ones you guys got had a rough transit ? how soon did those ones posted start to decline in health ?
20191108_065453.jpg

OP
OP
pigmo

pigmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pigmo
Was out at the fish stores a few days ago and spotted this selago in one of them that looked very similar in color to the one you posted.
They have had it about a week, so far so good.
Maybe the ones you guys got had a rough transit ? how soon did those ones posted start to decline in health ?

hi ce, exactly 1 week it started to *poof* :mad:

it was only at 220 par, mild acro type flow

another was at 250, must be our water ;Drowning

it's our super mystery !

Last edited:

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you getting these from a local shop who gets them transhipped? Or how are you choosing them? I have never really heard of anyone having issues with this acro unless they are just getting already stressed specimens.

OP
OP
pigmo

pigmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you getting these from a local shop who gets them transhipped? Or how are you choosing them? I have never really heard of anyone having issues with this acro unless they are just getting already stressed specimens.

pfuego, it's our fault, we got them from 1st line importers ;Drool

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back