Acropora starting to develop fleshy bubbles.. Help!

256Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some expert opinions..IDK if this is some type of bacterial infection, and also if It can be cured.This Tank is about four years old. I’ve been successfully keeping acros with no issues until now. Approximately one year ago I placed a few new acro frags into the tank. Three months back I started to noticed this issue and I removed the affected Acro. Now I’ve noticed it on several others. What should I do now? Can’t really find much on this issue besides a possible bacterial infection.

361D6A27-37C6-4C2E-8DE3-5761E550DFE7.png 4AA63AB5-EFC5-4EFA-A2AD-6BC837A76649.png

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a recent thread on this. You’ll have to search for it. Think it was titled SCTLD. If I recall someone did 10 days of Cipro to fix the problem.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is usually a form of hyperplasia or neoplasia in corals, not SCTLD. Either way, not great. I do not know of any known cure. SCTLD is a hot buzzword right now for folks looking for anything to explain what they cannot explain.

fawadalam4514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some expert opinions..IDK if this is some type of bacterial infection, and also if It can be cured.This Tank is about four years old. I’ve been successfully keeping acros with no issues until now. Approximately one year ago I placed a few new acro frags into the tank. Three months back I started to noticed this issue and I removed the affected Acro. Now I’ve noticed it on several others. What should I do now? Can’t really find much on this issue besides a possible bacterial infection.

361D6A27-37C6-4C2E-8DE3-5761E550DFE7.png 4AA63AB5-EFC5-4EFA-A2AD-6BC837A76649.png '
Hey there,

I'm really sorry to hear about the issues you're facing with your tank. Keeping a healthy reef aquarium, especially with acros (Acropora corals), can be both rewarding and challenging. It does sound like you've got a situation on your hands, especially if this issue has spread to several other specimens.

Quarantine: First off, if you haven't already, I'd highly recommend quarantining the affected acros. This will help in preventing the potential spread of whatever might be causing this issue.

Water Parameters: Before jumping to conclusions about bacterial infections, it's essential to double-check all your water parameters. Sometimes, even minor fluctuations in parameters like alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, or even temperature can cause stress to acros, making them more susceptible to diseases.

Dip Treatment: If you suspect an infection, consider giving the affected corals a dip treatment. There are several commercial products available that can help with potential bacterial or parasitic issues. Do ensure to follow the guidelines provided by the product and always keep an eye on the corals during the dipping process.

Consultation: While forums and online communities are an excellent resource, sometimes, reaching out to an expert or a marine biologist specializing in corals can provide insights based on your specific situation.

Review Livestock and Equipment: Sometimes, new livestock or even equipment can introduce pathogens into the system. If you've added anything new recently, even if it's not directly related to the tank (like a new tool or piece of equipment), consider reviewing its source.

UV Sterilizer: If you're not already using one, a UV sterilizer can help in managing bacterial populations in the tank water. This can be an additional step in ensuring that water quality remains optimal.

In conclusion, while it's hard to diagnose the exact issue from a brief description, it's essential to take a systematic approach. Ensure water parameters are optimal, quarantine affected specimens, consider treatments, and if all else fails, don't hesitate to reach out to professionals in the field.

Best of luck, and I genuinely hope your acros recover soon!

Warm regards,
Ahmad

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consultation: While forums and online communities are an excellent resource, sometimes, reaching out to an expert or a marine biologist specializing in corals can provide insights based on your specific situation.

Hi Ahmed,

What is that comment based on? It seems seriously wide of the mark.

Are you a reef hobbyist?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a good relationship with several of the people at a very well respected research institution and public aquarium where my child goes to college. They can be very helpful, but most of them know and study wild things and will admit that they are not great with captive life. Some of them spend all of their time in one part of the world and know nothing about marine life from others geographical areas, but they do usually know people and can connect you.

For example, since SCTLD was brought up on this forum, I reached out. Took me a few people to find somebody with experience in the Gulf. Even then, they doubt, but have no proof that SCTLD is something that exists in aquariums, but if it did, it is not likely to affect most of our stonies and all of the evidence is that Acropora (the reason why I reached out) are immune (probably not the right word) and otherwise do not suffer SCTLD at all. A few of them also indicated that there is absolutely no evidence that healthy stony coral are a risk to ANY known coral pathogen and most are opportunistic once the death spiral has begun.

What does all of this marine biologist and expert advice amount to? In this case, something because we have nobody who hobbies that knows any different. However, in the end, it does not amount to much since they are supposing and guessing too.

In most cases, they will refer to books by Dr. Shimek, Veron, Ulrich, etc. who are marine biologists and pHd that have studied aquaria. Most research professionals are flabbergasted at the care that hobbyist give coral compared to the natural environment - good or bad, you be the judge for you, but they are all about trying to emulate the natural environment.

In any case, most talks that you have with a real coral or marine biologist are likely to be just academic, which can be a lot of fun.

branbray07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

361D6A27-37C6-4C2E-8DE3-5761E550DFE7.png 4AA63AB5-EFC5-4EFA-A2AD-6BC837A76649.png
Did you ever fix the issue?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reads like he asked chatGPT and copied and paste.
Click on his messages and read what he has already posted. I believe you are correct. Or we have an AI answering questions here now

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Click on his messages and read what he has already posted. I believe you are correct. Or we have an AI answering questions here now
Definitely a bot of some sort. Whether just the translation or entire work. It's been run through ai.

My 7th grade (1989) social studies teacher was correct when he said computer intelligence was the begining of the end.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 194 71.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back