Acrylic bowing question

nate167

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just filled my 300 gallon tank and the front is bowing about 5/8”. Top is eurobraced and acrylic is 1/2”. Tank is 96x24x30. I bought the tank used and saw it running beforehand but didn’t notice the bowing till now. I’ve been reading that acrylic will bow but is this within the acceptable range?

IMG_7554.jpeg
IMG_7555.jpeg

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't really generalize. That much bowing can be ok but isnt reassuring that the builder chose to be cheap so where else is quality compromised. If the seams and the like all look solid you'll be fine. Acrylic is incredibly strong so it is not like it is going to fail and the seams are where failures do happen.

OP
OP
N

nate167

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't really generalize. That much bowing can be ok but isnt reassuring that the builder chose to be cheap so where else is quality compromised. If the seams and the like all look solid you'll be fine. Acrylic is incredibly strong so it is not like it is going to fail and the seams are where failures do happen.
Just about all my seams look like the first pic. The worst one is the side/top brace one in the second photo.

Attachments

• IMG_7556.jpeg
    IMG_7556.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7557.jpeg
    IMG_7557.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 59

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just about all my seams look like the first pic. The worst one is the side/top brace one in the second photo.
Not great but I am not really qualified to judge what qualifies as a compromised seam. My main concern would be that there is significant visible evidence of straining (those closely spaced perpendicular lines.) Certainly not the worst seam I have seen but this is a big tank.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to give the impression that I think your tank is **** I just don't think "it should be okay" is an acceptable statement in this case. Most forums have an expert and I would @ them for ya however I have been away from r2r for a while and cannot remember who this particular expert would be.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30” tall with 1/2” material is not ideal. The crazing seams are normal. Shouldn’t be an issue but more crazing will probably happen with the material. Il

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back