Add Copper Power to QT but Nitrite not at 0?

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have two clowns in a 10g qt tank, cycled with turbo 900. One is 2 weeks in, another 1 week. We do have a cheap petco filter in there, air stone and have been doing heavy water changes. Just did one 3/4 days ago 40% and just had to do one again today. Maybe 25%.

These levels are the highest I’ve seen them since starting. It lowered some levels but nitrite is still showing up and ammonia a little too? I thought they’d lower more with the water change, attached is before/after WC.

Is it safe to put the copper power in to start? Advice about the levels?

IMG_2119.jpeg

IMG_2120.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those test vials made me thirsty for a Slurpy. I hope your fish survive the situation.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always take api results with a grain of salt - misreads are pretty common.
Given that nitrite is non toxic in saltwater, I wouldn’t be super worried about that.
How are the fish acting and looking? In this case I’d be using them as the indicator (while still monitoring parameters).

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those test vials made me thirsty for a Slurpy. I hope your fish survive the situation.
They’ve been stable except the last 3-4 days, and water changes don’t really make me feel like they’re making that big of an impact to correct? I’m thinking I’m over feeding the little one because I was worried it wasn’t eating enough. Any tips?

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any media for the bacteria to attach?
The tank came with a generic filter, looks like a sponge/poly filter mix or something. Otherwise we just have the air stone, a pvc, heater, thermostat and the fish. Kept everything else out so we can medicate.. any tips?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank came with a generic filter, looks like a sponge/poly filter mix or something. Otherwise we just have the air stone, a pvc, heater, thermostat and the fish. Kept everything else out so we can medicate.. any tips?

I wouldn't worry about the nitrite. If it were me, I'd add a biosponge into the filter or some ceramic media and a tiny extra bottle of bacteria just to ease my anxiety lol/

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always take api results with a grain of salt - misreads are pretty common.
Given that nitrite is non toxic in saltwater, I wouldn’t be super worried about that.
How are the fish acting and looking? In this case I’d be using them as the indicator (while still monitoring parameters).
The fish are pretty good, the older one was tilting and lethargic first 2-3 days but now very active. The younger one is also very active, was just worried not eating enough. But they both jet around and love feeding time.

Being new to the levels is an adjustment and wanting to ensure we’re not screwing up.

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about the nitrite. If it were me, I'd add a biosponge into the filter or some ceramic media and a tiny extra bottle of bacteria just to ease my anxiety lol/
We have some turbo 900 left in the fridge, I wasn’t sure if it would affect the copper or if I should be randomly adding it after they’re in?

We also have some stress guard I’ve used on and off for water changes and when first adding them. But I read water conditioners can also be bad for copper treatment, which that seems similar?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have some turbo 900 left in the fridge, I wasn’t sure if it would affect the copper or if I should be randomly adding it after they’re in?

We also have some stress guard I’ve used on and off for water changes and when first adding them. But I read water conditioners can also be bad for copper treatment, which that seems similar?

You can dump the rest of the turbo 900 into the tank. I would add a biosponge or some ceramic media. The water conditioners may not do anything for ammonia despite their claims but they are fine with copper power or copper safe (just not cupramine style copper)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 77 72.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back