Add some Gulf Live Rock to my new tank?

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been running for a few days, used 40 lbs of "live" fiji pink sand and 40 lbs of live rock from my LFS. Adding Microbacter7 for the first 14 days as well. Added two clowns after ammonia was reading 0 and Nitrate was showing 2. So on to the question...

To add to the biodiversity and in an attempt to do as many things as I can to avoid the ugly phase. I was thinking about purchasing 10 lbs of deco live rock from Gulf Live Rock. Thoughts on this?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do it with the intention to avoid the ugly phase, almost certainly you'll experience it a little no matter what...do it for the biodiversity! Btw, idk how many of those big sponges and tunicates actually survive or die and break down into ammonia so I personally, would probably go for just some pieces with nice coralline algae. But that's just me...

OP
OP
BetterJake

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do it with the intention to avoid the ugly phase, almost certainly you'll experience it a little no matter what...do it for the biodiversity! Btw, idk how many of those big sponges and tunicates actually survive or die and break down into ammonia so I personally, would probably go for just some pieces with nice coralline algae. But that's just me...
Good point! A few similar shops online have similar options, like a base rock that was cultured in the ocean with all the goodies but less or none of the sponges and turnicates, so likely less die off. I may just go that route instead.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point! A few similar shops online have similar options, like a base rock that still cultured in the ocean with all the goodies but less or none of the sponges and turnicates, so likely less die off. I may just go that route instead.
Don't get me wrong, Gulf Live Rock looks amazing and has a great reputation so maybe give them a call first and tell them what your looking for and see if they can accommodate you with your request! I've never ordered from any of the shops your familiar with because of my location so other than the big names idk how reputable they are.

OP
OP
BetterJake

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get me wrong, Gulf Live Rock looks amazing and has a great reputation so maybe give them a call first and tell them what your looking for and see if they can accommodate you with your request! I've never ordered from any of the shops your familiar with because of my location so other than the big names idk how reputable they are.
Gotcha. I'm pretty much just looking at the crowd favorites online. Tampa Bay Saltwater, Gulf Live Rock, etc... Wish I had something local, not gonna happen here in NC.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. I'm pretty much just looking at the crowd favorites online. Tampa Bay Saltwater, Gulf Live Rock, etc... Wish I had something local, not gonna happen here in NC.
I'm sure you'll find something with one of those companies...I've heard great things about each!

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother has had good luck with his order from Gulf Live Rock he got a few days ago. Despite ordering non-submerged rock, he's had at least one coral survive, maybe upwards of 3 different stony coral species. Plus, the owner in charge of the store has been super helpful, walking my bro through setting up his rock and going through the cycle. Do know that if you don't go the submerged route, there's gonna be quite a bit of die-off that may cause an ammonia spike.

wtdenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I myself added gulf rock recently after battling dinos. I'm happy with my decision to buy it. However I wouldn't suggest just dropping it in to the display. It's smart to put it first into an observation tank and make sure you arent carrying any hitchhikers that you don't want. That means more equipment etc. Keep that in mind. It's not gonna help you avoid uglies but the idea is that the bacteria solution to the uglies resides within and will help you fight them off quicker. Regardless of whether it helps with uglies or not, the amount of life on the rock is fantastic. The pest risk is there, but so far personally I'm prepared to deal with that as it comes and couldn't be happier with the new little critters I stare at each day.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
No problem doing this and do expect some creatures to come out of the rock

Ancient Mariner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that you started with live rock from your LFS is probably the best way to minimize the uglies if it’s been totally cured or is base rock that’s been steeping in their system for a while. Adding uncured live rock will definitely spike nutrients immediately then slowly for weeks if not months as organism die in transport then die because they can’t survive in a reef aquarium. I’m all for adding extra live rock in general but either in small amounts or well cured outside your display system.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that you started with live rock from your LFS is probably the best way to minimize the uglies if it’s been totally cured or is base rock that’s been steeping in their system for a while. Adding uncured live rock will definitely spike nutrients immediately then slowly for weeks if not months as organism die in transport then die because they can’t survive in a reef aquarium. I’m all for adding extra live rock in general but either in small amounts or well cured outside your display system.
That's why I recommended him try to find some with just nice coralline if possible

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back