Added a UV and WOW is all I can say!!!

crappie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bacterial bloom and after a full week I couldn’t take it anymore. I bought a UV sterilizer and in less then 24 hrs I could see everything again. All I can say is wow. Figured I share in case someone else is wondering how to get rid of cloudy water.

D6208E4B-48B5-4B74-A291-E8A3370C8E77.jpeg D1F843B0-7705-46A9-B7B2-0A097F4159AA.jpeg

OP
OP
crappie

crappie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. What brand of Vu snd how many watts? How is it circulated in tank ? Thanks
Aqua ultraviolet 15watt hang on back powered by a maxi jet 1200 but going to swap for a mj 400 when it gets here. The 1200 is a bit too much flow and I had to rig it to return into a $10 hob filter with everything removed so it wouldn’t kick up the sand.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big fan of having a UV! IMO run it periodically in future. Run mine now about 2-3 hours a day on a separate timer. Kills the bad stuff, but on a minimal time frame allows the good stuff to remain.

OP
OP
crappie

crappie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big fan of having a UV! IMO run it periodically in future. Run mine now about 2-3 hours a day on a separate timer. Kills the bad stuff, but on a minimal time frame allows the good stuff to remain.
I was wondering about it hurting the bad stuff since it cleared up so quickly.
I was planning on just leaving it on with a low flow. Do you think leaving yours on all the time would hurt the system long term?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering about it hurting the bad stuff since it cleared up so quickly.
I was planning on just leaving it on with a low flow. Do you think leaving yours on all the time would hurt the system long term?
Yes. It strips some good larvae, some benificial bacteria, will strip phyto if you dose it for corals etc. I find if I leave it on for short time frame it does all that is intended for....

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 76.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back