Adding dry rock to established tank

pinocchio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to add some more rock to my established tank. The rock that’s currently in there is premium rock for KPA. Since I only want to add a few more pieces I was thinking of just using dry rock. My main questions are…

1. Is there anything particular I need to do to the rock before adding aside from rinsing off?

2. Will it cause any kind of spike in my tank levels?

3. As the dry rock becomes live will there be lots of ugly phases of green hair algae?

4. Is there a preferred brand?

If anyone has any pics of established dry rock that was mixed with existing live rock I’d love to see. Also, any pitfalls to look for? Thanks!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a few pieces of caribsea dry rock. It will still get uglies but wont look as bad as bright white dead rock. I used 50/50 on my 120 and the dead only got the uglies. 6 months later you cant tell the live from dead.

I put real dead live rock I find into my 45's sump. I get uglies and cyano but it only last for a couple months. After 6 months it is covered in corraline and ready to go.
Hope that helps!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only downside is they will become chia pets for a while. If you have a sump, put them in your sump for a few months, the algae attack will then be minimal or non-existent.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back