Adding water to tank, then salt?

TheProfessor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a stupid question, but I read a blog post that stated I could set up tank, add rock and sand, then RODI water and ensure that the pumps etc are working correctly BEFORE I add the salt to mix in.

No livestock involved. Just a dry rock and live sand.

This would save several hours of my time, so would appreciate any thoughts on the matter!

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any bacteria in the live sand would be killed with the RO, you can run the tank with RO to check for leaks, drain it and then mix saltwater and add it.

george9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've filled all my tanks this way rather than mix individual buckets of saltwater. Fill the tank up with RODI and then start the pumps and add salt and let that mix for 24 hours. Once you've verified you're at the correct salinity, add sand and then rock once the water clears from the sand. If you rinse the sand prior, it makes the clearing process much quicker.

OP
OP
T

TheProfessor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I asked! The rock is Caribsea, which has spored bacteria put onto it, and I was getting live sand. Don't want to kill all that right away!!!

I was planning on a long weekend mixing saltwater anyway, so that plan isn't changing now!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back