Advice needed on an old venturi skimmer

Thunder_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I acquired this old Venturi skimmer and I can see how it works. I’m wondering if anyone could give some advice as to what size pump I’d need to run this thing. At this point it’s just a novelty that I would like sto see run, because I don’t have a tank big enough for this thing. I will post pics of the skimmer and one of the Venturi’s.

IMG_5796.jpeg IMG_5797.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there any marking on the skimmer? What is the height? It looks like an MTC dual-chambered beckett skimmer, but I don't remember one in quite that configuration. Many of the ones that I remember that were of a comparable vintage used mag drive pumps.

@vetteguy53081 @Vette67

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Agree- in lieu of the turn knob for air control- this is a substitute if I recall

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a mrc skimmer .

The one I have is a mr-2
With single Beckett it’s rated for 300gal
The website called for a mag 18 or equivalent

It wouldn’t run on it as it wasn’t enough power .

I bought a jeabo dc-15000 and it works amazing .

With a gate valve to adjust the height it’s easy to set and forget

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any markings or manufacture names.

If it’s mrc . I have a contact email for them .
And they are great .
Send a picture and measurements and he can identify the exact skimmer and send any parts needed

OP
OP
Thunder_reef

Thunder_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no markings of any kind that I can find. I really would like to figure the flow rate needed. Who knows, maybe I could build 2 smaller skimmers using the venturis. Along with this skimmer I got a large MRC skimmer with no pumps. I have tried to contact MRC a few times to find a proper pump for it as well but have had no luck.

OP
OP
Thunder_reef

Thunder_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any markings or manufacture names.

If it’s mrc . I have a contact email for them .
And they are great .
Send a picture and measurements and he can identify the exact skimmer and send any parts needed
If you could get me that email that would be great…thanks

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no markings of any kind that I can find. I really would like to figure the flow rate needed. Who knows, maybe I could build 2 smaller skimmers using the venturis. Along with this skimmer I got a large MRC skimmer with no pumps. I have tried to contact MRC a few times to find a proper pump for it as well but have had no luck.
His name is Jeff .
I’ll see if I can find his email

delv2323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an original version of the MTC HSA. The beckett head acts as the venturi. Look up some old threads on RC, it may take some tinkering air valve and pump running it but it'll skim a very large tank easily.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not look like a beckett to me. It looks like a LifeReef where the input goes down the throat of the collection cup with a needle valve on the venturi.

There are some amazing things that happen in skimmers with non-uniform bubble sizes.

I would try with a 900 GPH pump on each side and see what it does - any pump will do, DC, AC, low head, high head, whatever. You can have too many bubbles so open that needle valve the whole way and close it down some if you need to. That outlet is going to need a ball/gate valve to control the water height in the necks.

My guess is that if you can get the pumps right, this thing could out skim nearly any modern needle wheel skimmer.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not look like a beckett to me. It looks like a LifeReef where the input goes down the throat of the collection cup with a needle valve on the venturi.

I don't believe he made a skimmer that looks like that nor does his venturi inlet have a valve on it. He hasn't changed his design forever as you know.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not a LifeReef. I was trying to say (poorly?) that it is like a LifeReef style but with the PVC pipe going down the center. There is even a collection ring at the bottom like the LR design has.

After looking at it some more, I still think that it could work wonderfully. Cleaning and ongoing care might suck. Looks like you have to disassemble it to clean the neck and stuff. Drain helps to get the liquid out, but you still cannot let the necks get covered in an inch of gunk.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not a LifeReef. I was trying to say (poorly?) that it is like a LifeReef style but with the PVC pipe going down the center. There is even a collection ring at the bottom like the LR design has.

Sorry @jda. I probably shouldn't have replied or counted to 10 before :) I know you have used them or have one currently and meant it may be a knock off or similar type.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I type pretty fast and am not clear.

Even if that skimmer works well, it can likely work even better with better venturis.

I would bet that the manufacturer suggested Mag 9.5 or Mag 12 for each side of that.

delv2323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, it's not Beckett, it looks like a PVC venturi...probably a MTC HSA after they got rid of the Beckett (and the top chamber for it) but before they rerouted the water outlet from the center the the outside. That tube running down the middle makes it a pain to clean well but it'll skim like crazy.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that definitely looks like an MTC skimmer to me. Can’t mistake the acrylic colors. I still run mine on my tank from 1995-1996ish vintage. Mine has been working flawlessly for 20+ years. And yes, that one is a Beckett. There is no way possible for a Venturi to fit in that chamber. Not long enough or wide enough. Unfortunately the Beckett and lid for the second chamber is missing. So you can either remove that second chamber at the base and fabricate cap to close it off and run it as a single chamber or look to fabricate the lid for the second chamber and model the Beckett chamber off the first one (good luck finding Beckett injectors). First option is probably easier as you can probably just glue a cap on the right side base to cap it

You’ll want a pressure rated pump somewhere around 1500GPH. And don’t ask me what pump you should get because I’m old school and run only AC pumps. I run mine on a PanWorld 100 px-x.

It also looks to me like it’s missing the gate valve on the bottom outlet pipe to control the water level. I can’t tell the size, but it would probably be something around a 2 inch gate valve, if I were to guess. And that is strictly a guess.

That grey / black needle valve at the top of that Beckett chamber is to control how much air is injected into the Beckett, which like any other skimmer, more air raises the water level and vice versa.

You’d be bringing back a piece of history with that skimmer, but Beckett’s are the absolute best skimmers, and nothing on the market today compares, except maybe MRC.

Still running…
IMG_9703.jpeg

OP
OP
Thunder_reef

Thunder_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that definitely looks like an MTC skimmer to me. Can’t mistake the acrylic colors. I still run mine on my tank from 1995-1996ish vintage. Mine has been working flawlessly for 20+ years. And yes, that one is a Beckett. There is no way possible for a Venturi to fit in that chamber. Not long enough or wide enough. Unfortunately the Beckett and lid for the second chamber is missing. So you can either remove that second chamber at the base and fabricate cap to close it off and run it as a single chamber or look to fabricate the lid for the second chamber and model the Beckett chamber off the first one (good luck finding Beckett injectors). First option is probably easier as you can probably just glue a cap on the right side base to cap it

You’ll want a pressure rated pump somewhere around 1500GPH. And don’t ask me what pump you should get because I’m old school and run only AC pumps. I run mine on a PanWorld 100 px-x.

It also looks to me like it’s missing the gate valve on the bottom outlet pipe to control the water level. I can’t tell the size, but it would probably be something around a 2 inch gate valve, if I were to guess. And that is strictly a guess.

That grey / black needle valve at the top of that Beckett chamber is to control how much air is injected into the Beckett, which like any other skimmer, more air raises the water level and vice versa.

You’d be bringing back a piece of history with that skimmer, but Beckett’s are the absolute best skimmers, and nothing on the market today compares, except maybe MRC.

Still running…
IMG_9703.jpeg
I have all the pieces, just not in the pics. I’m gonna try and get it running but probably not any time soon. I appreciate all the input and information everybody gave !!!

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh old stuff I remember.

You will need roughly 1000 gph from a pump with at least 20ft of head pressure on each venturi.

They work great but there is a reason that kind of skimmer isnt used anymore. You can make the same foam with much less HP now.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back