Advice needed

RBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I just moved my fish, LR and small amount of coral from a 45 gal to a 90 gal a week ago. I used new sand and had about 30 pounds of live rock I moved to new tank. I used about 30 gallons of the old water and added 25 lbs of dry rock. My plan was to do a 15% water change after a week and continue that going foward. Maybe cutting to 10%. Before I did a change I tested water. I am not sure how to determine if I saved my cycle during the move. I have 2 clowns, 2 PJ Cardinals, six line wrasse and a few snails and hermit crabs.

Nitrite and Ammonia 0
Nitrate 7.4
Phosphate .13
PH 8.1

Do I do the water change or let the tank continue to settle?

Thanks

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I just moved my fish, LR and small amount of coral from a 45 gal to a 90 gal a week ago. I used new sand and had about 30 pounds of live rock I moved to new tank. I used about 30 gallons of the old water and added 25 lbs of dry rock. My plan was to do a 15% water change after a week and continue that going foward. Maybe cutting to 10%. Before I did a change I tested water. I am not sure how to determine if I saved my cycle during the move. I have 2 clowns, 2 PJ Cardinals, six line wrasse and a few snails and hermit crabs.

Nitrite and Ammonia 0
Nitrate 7.4
Phosphate .13
PH 8.1

Do I do the water change or let the tank continue to settle?

Thanks
By moving the existing biofilter (the rocks from the old tank) into the new tank, as long as you didn't add a bunch more fish than were in the old tank, then the new system's biofilter has the same capacity to handle ammonia as the old one.

In other words, it's still "cycled".

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I understand you have 30lb of rocks (live rock) from old system, and the fish are in the new system?

Sounds like the system is good to go and I would do 10-15% water change by-weekly. Regular maintenance.

Honestly 5lb of old system live rock would have been enough.
Dry rock will go through its ugly stage, so just be prepared for that. I don’t know of any way to skip that.

Good luck,

OP
OP
R

RBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By moving the existing biofilter (the rocks from the old tank) into the new tank, as long as you didn't add a bunch more fish than were in the old tank, then the new system's biofilter has the same capacity to handle ammonia as the old one.

Thanks! That is what I was hoping!

ナイトコア猫

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But when stones and sand move, some creatures may die. This may cause ammonia to temporarily increase.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But when stones and sand move, some creatures may die. This may cause ammonia to temporarily increase.
Why would anything die when taking a rock out of one tank, walking 5 steps and putting into another??? We're not talking about shipped rock.

ナイトコア猫

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would anything die when taking a rock out of one tank, walking 5 steps and putting into another??? We're not talking about shipped rock.

Unexpectedly, I didn't see such a simple move as he said. I can't figure it out. My English skills are a bit difficult to read this, so it’s up to you :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes::face-with-spiral-eyes::

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back