Advice on captive bred baby clowns + wild caught BTA

HarryC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of 1.5" designers coming next week. They'll be the only clowns in a 40B nem only tank. I have a pair of designers in my current mixed reef, but they haven't touched any of my bubble tips yet. I have 3 RBTA, and 1 Black Widow that are very healthy. I also have 1 bleached green wild caught BTA. It has been in captivity for 7 mo. and never recovered well from it's trip overseas. This nem was a gift from a friend and while it looks better than when I got it a month ago, I'm still not confident it will make it.

Here's the question : Would it be a bad idea to put my new baby clowns in my acclimation box with the bleached nem? My gut tells me there is a chance it will eat them, and I feel the better course of action would be to get one of my healthy nems off my rockwork. The only reason I'm considering using the bleached nem is he's already in the box and I've read clownfish can sometimes help unhealthy BTA. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Harry

Last edited:

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The baby clowns will know what to do. It's instinct. They'll acclimate themselves to the nems.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting them in acclimation box to host does more harm than good IMO. I would just let them do it by themselves

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 51 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.5%
Back