AFR got diluted with RO water....is it ruined?

HappyOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was away for a few days and asked my adult daughter to top off the ATO container and clean out the skimmer cup while I was away. Unfortunately, when I returned I discovered that she put water in the AFR dosing container instead. There was about 950 ml of AFR in there when I left on Friday and now there is about 1500ml of the mixed AFR + RO water in the container now.

Is it ruined or can I adjust my dosing to account for the dilution and keep using the mixture?

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was away for a few days and asked my adult daughter to top off the ATO container and clean out the skimmer cup while I was away. Unfortunately, when I returned I discovered that she put water in the AFR dosing container instead. There was about 950 ml of AFR in there when I left on Friday and now there is about 1500ml of the mixed AFR + RO water in the container now.

Is it ruined or can I adjust my dosing to account for the dilution and keep using the mixture?
You can use the AFR solution as long as it works. If excess bacteria start to grow in the container I guess you will stop dosing it by yourself. As long as everything looks normal or with little microbial growth you can still use it.

Since there is no sulfur and no nitrogen in the AFR solution no hydrogen sulfide can form and maybe lack of nitrogen may even limit bacterial growth. So use it as long as it looks acceptable.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back