Age Before Coral Beauty: Is Age a Limitation to Reefing?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers!
After recently having a discussion about age requirements on R2R, I had a thought: Is there a “good” age range for people to get into reefing? Feel free to include your own age and if you think it contributes to your success or limitations in reefing.

For example, my first attempt at reefing was when I was 25. Financial situations at that time caused me to leave the hobby a year later. Now, at 44, reefing isn’t a financial burden, and is a permanent part of my life. I’m not sure if I would have stayed in reefing back in the day if things happened differently though.

Last edited:

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 54, started my reef keeping hobby at 31.

I received my Bachelor of Science in Aquaculture and Fisheries Technology at age 21. I had a successful overstocked FOWLR tank with home made trickle filter during my school years. Reefing was becoming a thing in the mid 80s and I was referencing reefing books of that era. I wasn't settled enough for a long term tank, but saw reefs as the next thing to try. I saw Walter Adey's Smithsonian system around 1990.

I dabbled with freshwater and saltwater in my early teen years, good with fresh, not so good with salt.

Money is relative to what you intend to keep and the size of the tank. I probably wasted a lot of money on things I didn't need when I was a teen.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started in my mid 20's as well, but having 3 kids, a wife and two jobs left me with little spare time and even less spare money so I shut it all down. Now approaching mid 50's with no kids to feed and a lot more money in my pocket I decided to jump back in a few months ago.

I'd say anytime is a good time to start if you've got some time and disposable income.

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started at 18! Had a summer job and used some grad party money to get me my first tank because i “didn’t want a boring old goldfish” in college and then fell down the rabbit hole of reefing! Then this semester I upgraded tanks and could not be happier! I have almost my whole reefing life planned out as to what tanks I’ll have when and I hope the passion stays with me for a long long time :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back