Agressive Algae ID

BetteMidler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank less than six months old. Tank problems; keyhole limpets, aiptasia, & this aggressive algae. It has runners. Lightly stocked, only one fish & a 40g reefbreeders cleanup crew package. Same single fish since tank cycled. All rockwork came from a vendor from the keys. Any positive ID on the algae?

1000001684.jpg

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nah, this stuff is conical, not flat. You can grab it and pick up the rockwork. Very tuff. Nothing on reefcleaners resembles it. Some type of turf algae.

At first glance it looked kinda flat but taking a better look it's pretty conical. Did a little image searching but ultimately couldn't find something that most resembled this...green pinecone algae? Hopefully someone with experience and knowledge will chime in soon

Tripod1404

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Caulerpa brownii. But I believe that is a cold water species.

If it is some species of Caulerpa, a fox face will eat it to extinction. If your LFS allows, cut few pieces of the algae and feed it to fox face and/or other rabbit fish they have. Buy the one that eats it.

Last edited:

Diastro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks super cool, I would buy it. Sorry you're having problems with it. If it is a caulerpa I would say it's probably very fragile, eventually it will go sexual and all die. But often comes back even after that. A real beast to get rid of.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back