AI Prime vs. Radion xr15 --> Red Sea Reefer Nano

phytofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently purchased a Red Sea Reefer Nano and plan to set it up towards the end of August when I move into a new apartment. I currently have two lights in my possession and cannot decide which one I want to keep and use on the Reefer Nano.

I have an AI Prime HD and a Radion xr15 Pro gen3.. Both are used. I'm going to keep one and sell the other. Lets assume the AI Prime would sell for $100 and the Radion $250.

The Red Sea Reefer is 18x18x18 and I plan to keep softies, LPS, and a BTA or two in it. Might be interested in a clam down the road.

Is it worth the extra $150 for me to keep the Radion and use it? Will it grow my LPS and BTA's any better than the AI Prime? To those who have dealt with both lights, where will I see a substantial difference?

Thanks

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of differences between the two to consider. First is price $199 for the Prime HD and $399 for an XR15 Pro. The XR15 is a powerhouse and will grow any coral or clam you put under it. However out of the box it is not WIFI controllable. You need to acquire a reeflink for wireless control otherwise connect it to a PC and program it. The AI Prime HD is WIFI Controllable right out of the box, doesn't put out as much par, but will still have sufficient par to grow just about any coral you put under it. Not sure about clams though. But both are great lights.

OP
OP
phytofish

phytofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of differences between the two to consider. First is price $199 for the Prime HD and $399 for an XR15 Pro. The XR15 is a powerhouse and will grow any coral or clam you put under it. However out of the box it is not WIFI controllable. You need to acquire a reeflink for wireless control otherwise connect it to a PC and program it. The AI Prime HD is WIFI Controllable right out of the box, doesn't put out as much par, but will still have sufficient par to grow just about any coral you put under it. Not sure about clams though. But both are great lights.

Yeah and since I plan on running an mp10 it might be nice to get reeflink eventually and control it all from one app

OP
OP
phytofish

phytofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m not sold on a clam.. i’ve just always admired them from a distance and wouldn’t mind trying one out

OP
OP
phytofish

phytofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sell them both and get a Kessil :)

Have you had the AI or Radion and didn't like them or are you just pro Kessil? haha.. I had Kessils and loved the shimmer but didn't see a huge amount of growth in my corals. That could have totally been due to some other reason but I'm thinking I want to try a new light this time around.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would compare the Hydra 26 to the Radio Xr15. while I have not owned the Prime nor the Xr15, I have owned the Hydra 25 and a Xr30 (3rd gen). IMO, I much prefer the software interface, wifi compatibility and over all spectrum and light production from the AI products. I ran the Radion for a year and was just never happy with it. since swapping to a pair of Hydras, I feel my tank is better lit and the corals are happier. I have better tuned it and it was much easier to do so.

Sell both and hang a Hydra 26HD over top and you will be pleased. at least in my opinion.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had the AI or Radion and didn't like them or are you just pro Kessil? haha.. I had Kessils and loved the shimmer but didn't see a huge amount of growth in my corals. That could have totally been due to some other reason but I'm thinking I want to try a new light this time around.
That's affirmative on your question. While they are nice lights, I can't stand the color separation on puck-style leds. I've got 3 or 4 lights in the equipment heap in the cellar. I agree that your lack of growth was probably not light related. It usually isn't.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have recently purchased a Red Sea Reefer Nano and plan to set it up towards the end of August when I move into a new apartment. I currently have two lights in my possession and cannot decide which one I want to keep and use on the Reefer Nano.

I have an AI Prime HD and a Radion xr15 Pro gen3.. Both are used. I'm going to keep one and sell the other. Lets assume the AI Prime would sell for $100 and the Radion $250.

The Red Sea Reefer is 18x18x18 and I plan to keep softies, LPS, and a BTA or two in it. Might be interested in a clam down the road.

Is it worth the extra $150 for me to keep the Radion and use it? Will it grow my LPS and BTA's any better than the AI Prime? To those who have dealt with both lights, where will I see a substantial difference?

Thanks
Setting up a nano as well! What light did you go with? I have the older prime (non hd version). Im trying to decide between a hydra26 or a kessil or a radion!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back