Aiptasia after tank transfer?

Bob Kukura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a tank transfer over the past couple weekends, got everything back into the new display tank this past weekend, and noticed this growing rapidly today:

PXL_20230911_185628617.jpg

What is weird is that I haven't added any new livestock or rocks to the old DT, the QT or the new DT in months. My old Reefer XL 300, which had a seam starting to fail, was running for about two years with no sign of this (it had beaten dinos and then recently bubble algae). I thoroughly rinsed a new bag of Caribsea dry aragonite and added it to my QT, which had been fallow for months followed by a major water change. I rinsed and brushed off my old rocks and stored them in bins with saltwater and air stones, then transferred my fish and CUC to the QT. I set up the brand new Reefer 300 G2+ that Red Sea kindly provided, filled it with tap water, ran it, drained it, and filled it with new saltwater. I moved the rocks into it, thoroughly rinsed the old sand and added it, ran the system for a few days, then moved the fish and CUC into it yesterday, along with the new sand from the QT. Today, the photogenic critter above appeared on a rock and seems to be growing rapidly. Could this have been introduced by the new sand or from the environment, or was it there all along?

Finally, assuming it is aiptasia, how should I treat it? Should just I cover it with kalk paste, or try to remove it first and then cover the spot where it was with kalk paste? Should I add a peppermint shrimp? Any other suggestions?

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't answer the question of how you got it, but it is aiptasia as far as I can tell. Do not try to remove it from the rock, you will regret it. Kalk paste should do the trick.

OP
OP
B

Bob Kukura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't answer the question of how you got it, but it is aiptasia as far as I can tell. Do not try to remove it from the rock, you will regret it. Kalk paste should do the trick.
It wrapped its tentacles around the blob of kalk paste, then disappeared into the rock. Hopefully that did it. Thanks!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back