Air freshener oil+saltwater fish tank

dab.daniel_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so...

I had a really bad fish tank emergency and recently finished trying to save the remaining two fish (a small clownfish and a yellow tang) just now by placing them in a makeshift quarantine tank. I used a ten gallon rectangular tank and bought an inexpensive filter fitted with a marineland Carbon filter cartridge. I also added some fluval CYCLE.
On Saturday I left home to spend some time with my cousins and entrusted my pet fish to my parents. Little did I know my mother would place an air wic plug in freshener right above my tank that (like all of them do) started leaking. My idiot brother then took it out of the wall plug in to make room for his charger and placed the thing on top of the glass top. He left it there yesterday afternoon. That whole time up until earlier today it was leaking that foul oily substance onto the glass top which then leaked into my tank. (40 gallon rectangular)
I came home today at around 2:30 to find most of my fish dead and two of them swimming unnaturally upside down in separate corners. I couldn't figure out what was wrong until I lifted the glass top and caught the smell of strong air freshener. The tank reeked of the stuff. I was ticked as hell. Anyway I fished out the dead fish and changed out about five gallons of water. I knew this wouldn't correct the problem so I went to the pet store and got a little tank and about thirty gallons of water since the lady there told me the only thing to do was to replace 100 percent of it and throw everything out. As in the sand and live rock. But here's the thing most troubling me. There was a lot of live rock in there and now all forty pounds of it smells of pure air freshener!!! My dads pretty angry about the whole thing because if it where up to him he wouldn't even let me do water changes on normal circumstances and now he thinks we might have to buy completely new live rock. What can I do to rid my rock of the chemicals?? Please help. It's currently sitting outside in a bucket.
Image1483431746.606573.jpg
Image1483431774.493491.jpg

OP
OP
dab.daniel_

dab.daniel_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry this happened to you. Where are you located? I wonder because if you are near me I can help you out.

I'm in Los Angeles. I really just need to figure out what I can do about the live rock. Can I get some tips and what not? Also my yellow tang is doing a bit better. Not quite back to normal but he's swimming around on the glass floor vertically instead of on his side so I think that's a step up. The problem is he's not eating. I don't wanna drop too much food bc I'm worried about the tank chemistry

chickofthesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say your rock is now poisoned. I personally would not use it anymore throw out the sand too. I'm in Illinois. If I was close I would give you some new rock. I'm sorry buddy I wish I had better news. Good luck with your remaining fish. You might be stuck with a bare bottom tank for a while. Many people prefer it anyway. Do some research on the subject. Don't give up. We all have big set backs trust me. My 55 gallon tank litterally exploded in front of my eyes. NOT fun at all. My whole family did a search and rescue and boy what a freaking mess!

OP
OP
dab.daniel_

dab.daniel_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks so cute. I'm so sorry this happened to you. How is he now?
Didn't make it, sadly. It stopped eating completely. The clown is the lone survivor. I ended up bleaching all the rock and buying new sand. I reset everything about 7 or so months ago and things are going smoothly. I'm being much smarter about it this time around. My clown is currently chillin in his new tank with plenty new tank mates. Thanks for the support lol

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 44 22.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back