OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't expect the chaeto, that makes much more sense. Your system doesn't use a sump, correct? I seem to remember seeing a heater in the DT on your build thread. How do you get flow to the chaeto?
I don’t have a sump. I would love to add one, but I’m not sure about a U tube overflow. The Chaeto isn’t getting a lot of flow.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - the stuff on the back of the tank looks like dead single strands of algae thats now covered with detritus or some kind of bacteria

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS - the stuff on the back of the tank looks like dead single strands of algae thats now covered with detritus or some kind of bacteria
I don’t think that it’s covered in detritus. Nothing comes off of it no matter what I do to it. It does resemble dead algae, but it grows back when I remove it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t think that it’s covered in detritus. Nothing comes off of it no matter what I do to it. It does resemble dead algae, but it grows back when I remove it.

question - how do you remove it - with a scraper? (to get the whole thing off) - if so - then it could be bacteria - especially if its really easy to remove

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question - how do you remove it - with a scraper? (to get the whole thing off) - if so - then it could be bacteria - especially if its really easy to remove
I usually use a metal scraper for the glass, and then I collect it in a net. For the rocks, I suck up what I can with a siphon and then try to pull it off with my hands or the net.
Edit- it’s fairly easy to remove.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately videos still dont work on Macs

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Bacteria and lack of filtration.
You will need more water flow and movement, and added maintenance.
You can scrape off with credit card but do catch loose particles with net or siphon right away

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks to me like GHA under low nutrient pressure. Most of the places it's pale/white, which happens to me when I push N really low.
But some places in your tank, it retains a bit of GHA color. Look between the rocks where local nutrients must be allowing it to stay slightly green.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks to me like GHA under low nutrient pressure. Most of the places it's pale/white, which happens to me when I push N really low.
But some places in your tank, it retains a bit of GHA color. Look between the rocks where local nutrients must be allowing it to stay slightly green.
How do I fix this?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back