Algae, Dino, or Cyano?

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Looking for some insight. I’m torn which way to treat. I’m leaning between Dino or Cyano. The problem is that I am color deficient so have a hard time telling if Cyano is red etc. salinity is 1.024 NO3 0.75 (based on algae probably not correct) PO4 0.00-0.01 (again, probably not correct). Alk 8.9 Cal 430 Mag 1300. Any insight would be appreciated

B95EECD1-0A27-4354-9081-0FBB534720EB.jpeg 10C312B2-394B-4F75-92F0-5C6DDBFB46B0.jpeg BB855ED8-A729-46EF-968E-D5E2BBFA436A.jpeg 7635FF25-EA48-411E-971B-81984BF9930E.jpeg

FIN&BONEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a lot of lps or sps I would personally try a more natural approach before dosing the X. I just battled em and found what worked best for my system was slowly raising my nitrates and phosphates naturally by over feeding the fish. Then I dosed it with a ton of pods and ocean magic from algae barn. Three weeks later gone baby gone. Looking back I cant believe how much time and money I wasted chasing quick fixes. It might take a little longer the natural way but will be well worth it for the health of your livestock. Hope it helps. Oh by the way I waited till my nitrates hit 20 before restarting small water changes. Good luck

OP
OP
Medic755

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a lot of lps or sps I would personally try a more natural approach before dosing the X. I just battled em and found what worked best for my system was slowly raising my nitrates and phosphates naturally by over feeding the fish. Then I dosed it with a ton of pods and ocean magic from algae barn. Three weeks later gone baby gone. Looking back I cant believe how much time and money I wasted chasing quick fixes. It might take a little longer the natural way but will be well worth it for the health of your livestock. Hope it helps. Oh by the way I waited till my nitrates hit 20 before restarting small water changes. Good luck
Does it look like Dino’s to you? I’m torn

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pictures aren’t super clear in detail but do you have filamentous algae anywhere in the tank? Like hair, turf, etc?
The stringy texture reminds me of cyano though. I have beaten Dino’s in the past with nitrate and phosphate dosing with uv sterilization at the same time but I agree. Don’t nuke the tank as your first option. When you try to blow it off with a pipette or turkey baster, what does it do?
Manual removal plus dosing would be my move if I was trying to figure out what it was ASSUMING you don’t have any other algae growing (which will skew your numbers posted). Cyano and dino doesn’t really skew them-in my experience they grow when I bottom out on N and P

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your parameters and pics I’d say you got a mix of both cyano and dinoflagellates

FIN&BONEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with sixty but Im gonna tell you something. DONT chase a girl you dont know. Be patient. Nuisance algae will never give you a proper name or phone number. Thats up to you to find out.

OP
OP
Medic755

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with sixty but Im gonna tell you something. DONT chase a girl you dont know. Be patient. Nuisance algae will never give you a proper name or phone number. Thats up to you to find out.
I really like that saying. So what should I try? I can kill off the Cyano and then work on the Dino by raising nutrients?

OP
OP
Medic755

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pictures aren’t super clear in detail but do you have filamentous algae anywhere in the tank? Like hair, turf, etc?
The stringy texture reminds me of cyano though. I have beaten Dino’s in the past with nitrate and phosphate dosing with uv sterilization at the same time but I agree. Don’t nuke the tank as your first option. When you try to blow it off with a pipette or turkey baster, what does it do?
Manual removal plus dosing would be my move if I was trying to figure out what it was ASSUMING you don’t have any other algae growing (which will skew your numbers posted). Cyano and dino doesn’t really skew them-in my experience they grow when I bottom out on N and P
I have some in the refugium but not thing large. Some hair and some chaeto. Hair on the back panel that’s hard to reach and scrape effectively

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahahaha nice analogy

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start by removing as much algae as possible by hand. Eyebrow brushes do wonder on hard to reach places. If your phosphates are still non detectable a few days later, dose phosphates. Then get a read on your nitrate without the uptake by hair algae.
why do you have chaeto and a fuge when you have no nitrate or phosphate? Did you have a ton and that helped. Might be worth while to pull it or take it offline for a bit when you fix your display.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back