Algae eater suggestions - Ulva

Tennyson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I have a 40 gallon, rubble bottom with lots of Ulva lettuce and red microalgae. i have cleaner shrimp, marine betta, anemones and LPS/softies.
I've searched previous threads and was wondering if anyone has more suggestions for an attractive algae eater that won't bulldoze frags. Also are there any algae eaters that will avoid desirable macros like caulerpa, dragons breath etc?

What i've found so far:
- Lawnmower blenny
- Tuxedo urchin
- Sea Hare
- Trochus

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sump with macro algae is the best algae eater for display. Freshwater black mollies are algae eating beats in a saltwater tank but they aren't attractive IMO

OP
OP
Tennyson

Tennyson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! My sump is completely full with chaeto, do you mean to grow the algae somewhere else like in an algae scrubber?

I'll consider black mollies! Not many algae eating fish to choose from for a 40.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto in sump is the way to go. You shouldn't have much algae growing in your display, if so increase sump lighting time.

Nice thing about mollies is they are cheap and easy to catch when you tired of them.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any herbivorous fish like a small tang should eat ulva pretty well. However they might go for the dragon breath too. My experience has been tangs or algae blenny will not eat caulerpa if there is literally anything else to eat first. Your inverts like urchins will target it all, again, in my own experience.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back