Algae/Fungus on Zoas?

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since I lost my sopranos, I get very worried when I start to see polyps not opening. Recently, I've lost a few frags, and currently have about 4 that are not opening. I noticed that all of these, including my sopranos started to get a blackish algae/fungus growing on the polyps. Does anybody know what this is and best way to treat? In the past I've tried scrubbing with soft bristle brush, dips in peroxide, furan, iodine, coralrx and nothing seems to work. Any suggestions? A couple pictures below of two of the frags currently that have this. They don't look terrible, but don't look normal to me either and they haven't been open in about 5 days.

CSC_0023-1.jpg

CSC_0025-1.jpg

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure what causes this,but when I started to dose Vodka on my tank,it cleared up,and the zoas opened super fast,within days they were healthy and open again.

OP
OP
G

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure what causes this,but when I started to dose Vodka on my tank,it cleared up,and the zoas opened super fast,within days they were healthy and open again.
I'm running bio pellets, can I dose vodka and run pellets?

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure about that,Id be sure to do more searching before you dose Vodka.

slice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had issues with cyano forming between the polyps from detritus being trapped. I have since increased flow, which has
made this either go away or has lessened to where I haven't seen it lately. What I had to do before is turkey baste the zoas to suspend
the trapped crap during water changes (just as one might blow off their rocks).

ladyreefer1983

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks like the algae is that kind of algae that sticks in the skin and even if u brush it off it wont come off..put it in a strong flow...if u have an extra powehead,,put it in one area and put all affected zoas/palys in a frag rack and where the powerhead is...its ok if its getting blasted..in no time the polyps will start opening...the algae will just come off by itself like a scab..ive tried this a lot..and works for me...hth..

p.s
i have some that is worst than that....and it worked

OP
OP
G

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks like the algae is that kind of algae that sticks in the skin and even if u brush it off it wont come off..put it in a strong flow...if u have an extra powehead,,put it in one area and put all affected zoas/palys in a frag rack and where the powerhead is...its ok if its getting blasted..in no time the polyps will start opening...the algae will just come off by itself like a scab..ive tried this a lot..and works for me...hth..

p.s
i have some that is worst than that....and it worked
Good to hear that has worked for you, because you are right, this stuff will not come off with brushing. I'll place in area with a lot more flow.

Ninjapotamus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people claim carbon dosing helps with this... vodka, pellets, vit c, etc...

Personally I have used 3 day consecutive dips of bi-furan(hikari brand no methylene blue) and iodine. it doesnt kill it right away, but a week later the brown is gone and polyps are open. I have used this to bring zoas back to life that have been browned over for months.

UCedumacasion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dealt with this problem several times. I've had good (not great results) using a combination of Tropic Marin Pro-Coral Cure and Hydrogen peroxide (separate dips spread a couple of days apart) and moving the corals into a high flow, low lit area. Also quarantine the affected polyps, it can spread quickly. The more consistent the dips are (aka over a week or week and a half) the better luck I've had. Hydrogen peroxide is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal so it helps, I found that the "funk" came off in sheets but when you dip you have to blast with water using a turkey baster. Also if it bubbles from the center its usually a bad sign. I can't find the Hydrogen Peroxide link but theres a thread on here that should have it. Good Luck this one is a ***** to deal with!

OP
OP
G

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated pic. of the first pic. in original post. Seems to be getting worse and I've placed it in a high flow area and dipped in hydrogen peroxide.
CSC_0045.jpg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 169 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back