Algae ID growing from rocks red... sticks?

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I have this algae growing on my rock, does anyone recognize what it might be the start of? Some of the bigger ones are starting to fork.
IMG_1083.JPG
IMG_1081.JPG

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Bryopsis. Get it out while you can
Grows fast and become very invasive
I'll get a better picture in the daylight tomorrow, it's definitely not bryopsis because I had some in my DT and am in the middle of treating because of it so I have a good handle on what it looks like. This is significantly thicker and looks like it would be fairly sturdy. Though with that said I did see a sprig of it in there (this is my frag QT) and will need to handle that as well. I see now from an outside perspective that it's pretty hard to tell what's what in the picture as I do have some other nuisance algae growing right along with it that's mixing up the picture. This stuff almost looks like Galaxaura Sp., maybe Gracilaria Parvisipora from https://www.marineplantbook.com/marineplantbookredalgae.htm

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll get a better picture in the daylight tomorrow, it's definitely not bryopsis because I had some in my DT and am in the middle of treating because of it so I have a good handle on what it looks like. This is significantly thicker and looks like it would be fairly sturdy. Though with that said I did see a sprig of it in there (this is my frag QT) and will need to handle that as well. I see now from an outside perspective that it's pretty hard to tell what's what in the picture as I do have some other nuisance algae growing right along with it that's mixing up the picture. This stuff almost looks like Galaxaura Sp., maybe Gracilaria Parvisipora from https://www.marineplantbook.com/marineplantbookredalgae.htm

Not Galaxaura which is a species of branching coralline algae. I'll wait for the daylight pic to make an ID

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe how different the whole tank looks without the light on. I have a bulb clamped on to the tank since it's my coral QT so nothing fancy, and my mom always flicks the light on in the morning before I wake up, and I turn it off after it's dark so I never noticed just how different it looks in there with natural lights only!
The algae wasn't red at all, I feel like I've been bamboozled ;) It's thicker than any sort of GHA and holds it's shape out of water
IMG_1090.JPG

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be cladophora, but the rounded tips remind me of Valonia (same genus as the dreaded bubble algae)
So as with google you never really know what you're looking at, but a lot of the cladophora pictures I'm seeing seem a bit more fine? But again who knows if it's actually a picture of that or not. It doesn't seem bubbly yet so fingers crossed.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep in mind that Cladophora is a genus meaning it is comprised of multiple species. However on second thought you may be right. I was probably thinking of Cladophoropsis (maybe C. membranacea)

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep in mind that Cladophora is a genus meaning it is comprised of multiple species. However on second thought you may be right. I was probably thinking of Cladophoropsis (maybe C. membranacea)
Oh well that's something to keep in mind. Do you know of any preferred sites that have the different species?

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. I mean if you're willing to read lots of articles with heavy scientific jargon and the occasional page in a foreign language feel free to check out AlgaeBase. I use WoRMS for a lot of my taxonomic work so I found you a link for the confirmed species in the genus http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=144263. Good luck finding pictures for reference, algae isn't exactly something people love to take pics of

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh gosh I think I'd rather just let it take over than to read some of the articles I came across so far. If it gets worse or problematic I'll consider looking into more details...

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crab might go after it. Urchins definitely will but can be destructive and like to eat coralline

Actup85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea definitely looks like caulerpa I think I can see the little round bubbles on the base of some stems fox face will eat it up

Actup85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea dont see them now looking at it again and missed the part where it holds shape out of water .kinda looks like runner tubes going up or something maybe some kind of sponge?

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea dont see them now looking at it again and missed the part where it holds shape out of water .kinda looks like runner tubes going up or something maybe some kind of sponge?
Not sure about what you mean by running tubes but it's for sure an algae sort of deal, plugs off the rock, growing only in the 'sunny' areas so it seems to check out. I've got some tube like sponges too as a comparison but all of my sponges tend to grow on the underside shaded areas.

took some more pics, it sort of squishes a little when you squeeze it and you can squeeze the pigmentation out almost?
IMG_1094.JPG

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sponges are transparent since they are made largely out of a collagen-based substance called spongin

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back