Algae ID help

AUMech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently battling a Aptasia outbreak and noticed this green algae. Anyone knows what it is? I’m still learning and have about given up am dealing with this Aptasia.

IMG_2136.jpeg

IMG_2135.jpeg

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any idea on how to get rid of it?
I am not sure as I have never had this particular algae before. Though my go to strategy for algae is manually remove what you can, introduce CUC that will hopefully eat it (emerald crabs and pitho crabs), and keep water clean.

all that said I think the aptasia is the bigger issue. You mentioned being about ready to give up on the aptasia? What have you tried so far?

OP
OP
A

AUMech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure as I have never had this particular algae before. Though my go to strategy for algae is manually remove what you can, introduce CUC that will hopefully eat it (emerald crabs and pitho crabs), and keep water clean.

all that said I think the aptasia is the bigger issue. You mentioned being about ready to give up on the aptasia? What have you tried so far?
I tried chemicals at first and now have turned to Berghia. They are slowly reducing it but it has spread to the back wall and sand bed. Not sure if I should do a total tear down at this point.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I tried chemicals at first and now have turned to Berghia. They are slowly reducing it but it has spread to the back wall and sand bed. Not sure if I should do a total tear down at this point.
I was going to suggest Berghia, shame that hasn't worked for you are is not working fast enough. I wonder if other aptasia eating critters like peppermint shrimp and aptasia eating files can cohabitate with the berghia?

I hesitate to call anything a "total tear down" but I guess it would depend on a number of factors, namely the time, effort, and cost of fighting the infestation VS starting over.

Hopefully some others can chime in with better advice in this regard. @vetteguy53081 is pretty knowledgeable, maybe he can hlep out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m currently battling a Aptasia outbreak and noticed this green algae. Anyone knows what it is? I’m still learning and have about given up am dealing with this Aptasia.

IMG_2136.jpeg

IMG_2135.jpeg
I see a forest of aptasia and the algae appears to be Chlorophyte or turtleweed algae. The best answer to the aptasia will be a Kleini Butterfly fish which will eat aptasia like candy, then eat all dry and frozen food offered, colorful, friendly and stays small. I will note that a couple of persons who got the blue had their kleini nip zoa. if so- easy sell, or place in sump as aptasia have likely made it down there already

1669774874713.png

lwien01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia for sure. I got 2 pronged attack
Lysmata Wurdemanni or Peppermint Shrimp: they will eat them like spaghetti
2). Get either a copperband or burgess butterfly. I bought a Burgess and tears them to shreds, gets into The crevices and will hang upside down under the rock literally hunt them and munch until they are gone. Good luck

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back