Algae ID Help

denverjon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had an issue with this algae on occasion over the years and I can't seem to ever get completely rid of it. It seems to grow even when my nitrate (15) and phosphate (.05) levels are fine. Does anyone know what kind of algae this is and which specific fish/snails I can get to help combat it? The problem is that it starts to grow on corals, which you can see in one of my pics. It's kind of a pinkish, spikey algae that reminds me of steel wool. It's easy to remove but grows right back.

Unknown-1.jpeg Unknown-2.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've had an issue with this algae on occasion over the years and I can't seem to ever get completely rid of it. It seems to grow even when my nitrate (15) and phosphate (.05) levels are fine. Does anyone know what kind of algae this is and which specific fish/snails I can get to help combat it? The problem is that it starts to grow on corals, which you can see in one of my pics. It's kind of a pinkish, spikey algae that reminds me of steel wool. It's easy to remove but grows right back.

Unknown-1.jpeg Unknown-2.jpeg
Pic fuzzy but looks like either bryopsis or wire algae
You will need to remove roots and scrub off rock preferably outside the tank in a container of tank water

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back