Algae ID please

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to figure out what algae this would be? My tank is new, been up and running since Feb. I just got over a bloom I guess, water was a bit cloudy and it looked like I saw particles in the water, glass needed cleaning every day brown in color but that seemed to have ended a few days ago, haven’t had to clean the glass in the last 3 days but now I’ve noticed this on my rocks. It seems to be mostly covering the top half and sides of rocks and if I look close enough I see it sorta swaying with the water motion, like very low hair like I guess I could say and when blown with a turkey baster it doesn’t come off at all.

Water parameters are
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Cal 475
Mag 1500
DKH 7.9
Phos 0.01

RODI water 0 TDS
W/C 10% weekly

Maybe this is just me being paranoid and just part of the uglies process or if I’m doing something wrong.

My lights are peek for 8 hrs at 50% and ramp up 1 and 1 ramp down. This hasn’t changed since Feb. never played with lights since I set them.

I have a couple dozen red/blue hermit crabs. A couple dozen Nasarius snails and 3 Conchs for CUC at the moment.

Thanks everyone for your time and help.

Photos are under blue and last 3 white. Hope this helps.

IMG_7738.jpeg IMG_7739.jpeg IMG_7740.jpeg IMG_7744.jpeg IMG_7745.jpeg IMG_7746.jpeg IMG_7747.jpeg

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back