Algae problems

Aveadonat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been running for around 6 months by now, and I have just had 2 clownfish in it, both of them have been doing fine. I started this tank with adding coral in mind, and after neglecting the tank a little I want to start getting ready to add corals.
Currently, I have several types of algae present. There is a ton of GHA on the rock, some cyano on the rock, and some algae on the sand (diatoms? not too sure what species it is.)
I know it would be a bad idea to add coral to my tank in its current state, so on top of weekly water changes and manual removal of the algae, I just was wondering what else I can do in order to get my tank in a position where adding coral would be a possibility.
Should I add a clean-up crew? I was going to get a cuc but one of my LFS told me I should hold off if I have low levels of nitrate/phos, but after doing some more digging it looks to me like as long as there is algae, then snails should be fine.
I'm also curious as to how long it'll take to suppress the algae, whether it be a month, 2 months, 3 months, etc.
Also, currently, all I have for filtration is a protein skimmer (bubble magus, super good so far) and some filter floss. Should I add anything else, or anything different?
My nitrates are 0, ph 8.0, salinity 1.025 ppm, I can't check alk/phos currently (ran out of reagent) but I should have those numbers in the next couple of days. I also know calc/mag is important but I dont have the testing kits for those, just alk/phos.

px4.jpg px3.jpg px2.jpg px1.jpg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No much IMM.

Take out the rock and scrub hard those rocks in tank water.
Syphon sand.
Put each parameter back to whatever you keep them at. Ensure they all remain stable.
Add daily, a small hit of bacteria, a shot of live phyto.

Let that stand, snails sure, but keep moving them constantly to aff3cted areas.

Watch parameter levels, adjust if trending upwards/downwards.

In two months add a softy, a small one.
In six months add LPS and easier SPS, like Digis…
In nine months add anything you wish.

They key is water chemistry.

Maybe something in that helps….

Good luck.

OP
OP
Aveadonat

Aveadonat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No much IMM.

Take out the rock and scrub hard those rocks in tank water.
Syphon sand.
Put each parameter back to whatever you keep them at. Ensure they all remain stable.
Add daily, a small hit of bacteria, a shot of live phyto.

Let that stand, snails sure, but keep moving them constantly to aff3cted areas.

Watch parameter levels, adjust if trending upwards/downwards.

In two months add a softy, a small one.
In six months add LPS and easier SPS, like Digis…
In nine months add anything you wish.

They key is water chemistry.

Maybe something in that helps….

Good luck.
Thanks, this helps a lot, how much bac and phyto should I add daily though? And are there any brands you prefer for either? Also the rock I have is the carribsea LIFE rock, not LIVE reef rock, would it help to add some life rock to get some more bacteria in the tank or should I just scrub the current rock I have

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, this helps a lot, how much bac and phyto should I add daily though? And are there any brands you prefer for either? Also the rock I have is the carribsea LIFE rock, not LIVE reef rock, would it help to add some life rock to get some more bacteria in the tank or should I just scrub the current rock I have
I use that Carib-sea (dead rock) great choice.
I never ever use live rock. You may get something or someone you don’t want. You may never see them, just dead things.

In that tank size maybe 50ml bacteria, get what you can, mixing is fine as it may increase diversity. Once each bottle used, this process stops. Once ever second day ups fine.

For phyto, I’ve used Reef Nutrition Live Phyto, it’s real dark green, once per week, maybe 20ml, until bottle gone, in ref refrigerator, lasts easy a month.

What your trying to do is increase the good guy algaes and bacteria so they, in the end, outcompete the bad guys. They are also necessary for coral growth. But you can see them, so it’s a bit of a leap of faith on your part. But the WILL come.

The come faster when water chemistry parameters (all of them) are both in the normal operating levels AND, not changing (or as least as possible) whenever measured through every 24hrs.

Not an easy target, when when ya get there, WOW.

Then rocks stay clean, water changes can be monthly, sand is white, every coral opens in hours, water very clear, and YOU, work less, letting those guys (which you cannot see) clean house.

Good luck,
IMG_1966.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back