Algae scrubbers, who knew...

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard the argument that a scrubber can be "too successful" at removing nitrate and phosphate. I agree that there is a potential that lots of green hair algae has the potential to remove something that corals depend on. Where that argument falls apart is that algae is 100% a tunable method of nutrient control. All you have to do is turn the algae lights down or have them on for less hours per day.

It's a really easy experiment. Go adjust your lighting down 20% in intensity or duration and see what happens. Maybe your tank would benefit from running your lights for only 4 or 6 hours a day. I would try that long before throwing the baby out with the bath water.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard the argument that a scrubber can be "too successful" at removing nitrate and phosphate. I agree that there is a potential that lots of green hair algae has the potential to remove something that corals depend on. Where that argument falls apart is that algae is 100% a tunable method of nutrient control. All you have to do is turn the algae lights down or have them on for less hours per day.

It's a really easy experiment. Go adjust your lighting down 20% in intensity or duration and see what happens. Maybe your tank would benefit from running your lights for only 4 or 6 hours a day. I would try that long before throwing the baby out with the bath water.
This 100%.

Just cut back the photo period to leave more nutrients in the water column.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Turned the light intensity down to about 30% id estimate, about a week ago. I had previously kept them at 100% for 12 hours a day. Just now I cut the photoperiod to 8 hours. I'll keep an eye on nutrients.

Back