OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I've heard back from 2 marine biologists (one fairly young and one much more mature) and neither of them had any idea what it is beyond the fact that it looks more like an algae. They have sent the info out to a few friends of theirs to see if they can help. This is getting stranger and stranger. And this isn't the first time I've seen this. I had a smaller version of it in a 65g shallow reef tank a couple of years ago. Because it was smaller and I wasn't as interested in it, I assumed it was a sponge. And after 3 or 4 months it disappeared and I didn't give it much thought.

Now with this bigger version I can see no excurrent hole or holes and no incurrent pores (even with a magnifying glass). So I really discount the idea that it's a sponge (but I could be wrong). Now I want to move it to my DT. But what if it does what Caulerpa algae does and goes 'sexual' and either nukes my tank or spreads all over the place in the tank? So I'd really like a better handle on what it is.

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I've heard back from 2 marine biologists (one fairly young and one much more mature) and neither of them had any idea what it is beyond the fact that it looks more like an algae. They have sent the info out to a few friends of theirs to see if they can help. This is getting stranger and stranger. And this isn't the first time I've seen this. I had a smaller version of it in a 65g shallow reef tank a couple of years ago. Because it was smaller and I wasn't as interested in it, I assumed it was a sponge. And after 3 or 4 months it disappeared and I didn't give it much thought.

Now with this bigger version I can see no excurrent hole or holes and no incurrent pores (even with a magnifying glass). So I really discount the idea that it's a sponge (but I could be wrong). Now I want to move it to my DT. But what if it does what Caulerpa algae does and goes 'sexual' and either nukes my tank or spreads all over the place in the tank? So I'd really like a better handle on what it is.
Do you see it's moving slowly in the time there or it stay only at the same place like always ? if you wish give us and another photo xD (I'm curious too about it)

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you see it's moving slowly in the time there or it stay only at the same place like always ? if you wish give us and another photo xD (I'm curious too about it)

It does not move at all, but it is attached to the rock it's sitting on. And that happened within 2 days from when I set it there. Here are 2 photos from today. I think the 'spikes' that stick out are part of a reproduction process? Maybe those tips will develop and fall off to start new individuals?

20180815_121940 by Ron Lindensmith, on Flickr

20180815_121922_001 by Ron Lindensmith, on Flickr

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WoW, definitely it prepare it self for reproduction..., that new balls on the "tentacles"/tendrils/tips are developing for new individuals xD
Why you are that far away...., I'll pay you to send me 1-2 of this SP

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WoW, definitely it prepare it self for reproduction..., that new balls on the "tentacles"/tendrils/tips are developing for new individuals xD
Why you are that far away...., I'll pay you to send me 1-2 of this SP

If I had more, I'd be happy to share. But I only have this one and I'm not sure it's surviving. And I'm not sure that the small balls really are reproduction.

I just heard back from Bob Fenner at Wet Web Media and he suggests that, "...maybe this is a fruit or seed pod from a terrestrial plant?" And then suggested looking along the shore and shallow water for more. How's that for thinking outside the box? He suggested cutting it open and sending him a photo of what's inside. But as my only sample, I'm not inclined to cut it open while whatever it is, is alive and growing. Even if it's just some kind of algae growing on the outside of a fruit. But I thought I'd share his feedback with everybody as food for thought.

If anybody is following this and in the Keys... could this be a terrestrial fruit or seed pod local in the keys?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a big difference from earlier pics ! Those are baby's ,I don't know, I wouldn't leave it !

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a big difference from earlier pics ! Those are baby's ,I don't know, I wouldn't leave it !

Yes, it's alive. It's in a 5g holding tank with a few other collected items and some palys and zoas, not in my DT. I agree those look like babies. I may cut one loose and isolate it and see what it does.

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had more, I'd be happy to share. But I only have this one and I'm not sure it's surviving. And I'm not sure that the small balls really are reproduction.

I just heard back from Bob Fenner at Wet Web Media and he suggests that, "...maybe this is a fruit or seed pod from a terrestrial plant?" And then suggested looking along the shore and shallow water for more. How's that for thinking outside the box? He suggested cutting it open and sending him a photo of what's inside. But as my only sample, I'm not inclined to cut it open while whatever it is, is alive and growing. Even if it's just some kind of algae growing on the outside of a fruit. But I thought I'd share his feedback with everybody as food for thought.

If anybody is following this and in the Keys... could this be a terrestrial fruit or seed pod local in the keys?
Ok Mate, keep us updated xD I don't think it's a fruit or something like..., I'm seen similar to this one (if no the same) at National Geographic and some other TV channels for sure, but my problem is I almost can't remember the names..... (bad for me.., but I'm living with that ;) and I'm writing down everything if need, to can find it )
The small peaces on the extensions look like the big one, and at this point it look it's reproducing it self. Please only, if you are able to, make day by day or every other day photo of this one and share it with us, at the end for sure we/you will figure it out what's exactly is. I love the unknown stuff...., and that's one of the side which make the hobby so excited and interesting for some of us ;) other don't like unknown stuff, or weird creatures .

Regards: SHNICI - Georgi

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Subsea any ideas on what this is?

That's the big question! I don't think it's a sponge, but it could be. I've never seen any algae that looks like this either. I've asked marine biologists at the Bailey Shell museum, posted it up at iNaturalist and Wet Web Media and just passed it along to a friend who will send it to his daughter (studying marine biology) to ask some of her professors. But so far, no good ID's. Bob Fenner at Wet Web Media wants me to cut it open and see what's inside. But this is the only one I have and I don't want to cut it up. If it survives and doesn't spread in the 5g holding tank, after some period of time I may move it to my DT. But without an ID, I'm not going to move it for months!

I had a smaller version of this in my shallow reef tank some time back (2 or 3 years) and I thought it was a sponge. Now, with this bigger version, I'm not so sure. I don't see any of the typical holes or pores that sponges use to intake and exhale water.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ron,
When you first posted this, I thought Horse Apple. Discounted that and simple said, “ain’t it beautiful”.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maclura_pomifera

This ain’t exactly it. There is a resemblance. Good fortune on your quest.
Laissez les bonne temps roulee,
Patrick

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ron,
When you first posted this, I thought Horse Apple. Discounted that and simple said, “ain’t it beautiful”.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maclura_pomifera

This ain’t exactly it. There is a resemblance. Good fortune on your quest.
Patrick

Patrick, thanks for the lead. But this is much to small to be that fruit. But on the other hand, that's probably the best/closest look to whatever this is! I suspect that fruit would rot pretty quickly in saltwater. I've had this one in our 5g holding tank for nearly 3 weeks now.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patrick, thanks for the lead. But this is much to small to be that fruit. But on the other hand, that's probably the best/closest look to whatever this is! I suspect that fruit would rot pretty quickly in saltwater. I've had this one in our 5g holding tank for nearly 3 weeks now.

Ron,
I am jealous of your vicinity for diving & collecting. Kudos to you. Don’t let the alien pods take over.
Patrick

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being near a place where snorkeling & collecting is possible was a very conscience decision. I moved here from central Ohio for just that reason. I assume you must be near or from the New Orleans area?

The pod is safe within a 5g holding tank. But if my posts at R2R stop, send in the National Guard!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back