Algae taking over cant stop it need help

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kratosxxl, try running a magnet thought the sand the best you can if you can't change the sand right now. Probably be okay for now.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I've got to get some sleep, let's pick this up tomorrow.

Fins up!

OP
OP
K

kratosxxl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool.... i have soooooo many pods and dose around 60-90 ml daily of phyto... i have a monthly delivery of 8 jars of ecopods (more than enuff for 200gal)from AB and would never look back... algae has been non existant and 99% of livestock are fat n happy!
Can u share link for what u buying ?

OP
OP
K

kratosxxl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should i start with this ?

Acskippy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should i start with this ?

I sent u a link

OP
OP
K

kratosxxl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone think raising ph to 8,2 is a good idea ? (Now its 7.9) with pickling lime ?

OP
OP
K

kratosxxl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also i have this weird feeling that my light is too strong , i have 2 current usa light (regular not pro) so i turned off 1 , i had 2 ocean revives before at 30% i had diatoms but not as bad. Any idea ?

OP
OP
K

kratosxxl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you know you have dino what treatment you thinking to start?
Well water change doesnt really help , so lowering ligh maybe dose vingar in small ammoumts with oceanmagic for bacteria boost ?

waleedreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well water change doesnt really help , so lowering ligh maybe dose vingar in small ammoumts with oceanmagic for bacteria boost ?

i used to have dino, i stopped water change, i switched off skimmer, i dosed Dino x 40 days treatment with 3 days blackout , and it's never come back.

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just fought a huge battle with Dino’s, water changes make them worse. Take 2 jars with lids. Add a bit of your aquarium water and a scraping of algae, put on tight fitting lid. Shake vigorously until algae is broken up. Pour water through a coffee filter or paper towel into a clear container. Place filtered water in a sunny area. If algae grows back within an hour it is Dino’s of some sort, if not probably not Dino’s.
If it is Dino’s what worked for me was an 84 hour total blackout. No lights and tank completely covered. Still fed my fish as usual. I put in an air stone and turned pump and wave makers off and added bacteria in a bottle. Left off for 2 hours so bacteria could settle into rocks and sandbed. When I turned system back on I removed air stone and ran carbon for the length of the blackout. When blackout was over 99% of my algae was gone but Dino’s tried to make a comeback so I once again shut down pumps for 2 hours and added more bacteria and that has done the trick. I also exchanged some of my dry rock with live rock but you can just add rock rubble to your sump. My total volume is 150 gallons. Hope this helps.
Edit: After blackout I restarted UV it runs 24/7

OP
OP
K

kratosxxl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i did 3 day blackout it all went away but then i changed my lights and it become even worse. Ill try another blackout for 84 hr lets see if it will help

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back