Algea ID

Cool Ethan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been dealing with excessive film on glass but eventually also noticed this on back. Scraps off super easy.

20220628_074223.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What you have is lyngbya and is a type of cyano that looks like hair algae but is more filament than algae. It favors glass but will also adhere to rocks. To remove, use an edge of an old credit card or plastic putty knife to shave it off and either net or siphon loose matter.
If on rock, remove and place in container of tank water and scrub with firm toothbrush and return to tank.
Cleaners such as nerite, chiton amnd cerith snails will help with final clean up as well as Carribean blue leg hermits

OP
OP
Cool Ethan

Cool Ethan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you have is lyngbya and is a type of cyano that looks like hair algae but is more filament than algae. It favors glass but will also adhere to rocks. To remove, use an edge of an old credit card or plastic putty knife to shave it off and either net or siphon loose matter.
If on rock, remove and place in container of tank water and scrub with firm toothbrush and return to tank.
Cleaners such as nerite, chiton amnd cerith snails will help with final clean up as well as Carribean blue leg hermits
Thank you! Was struggling to find a match with some of the more common ones. I also had a red cyano outbreak a few weeks ago. Are the causes similar?

My CUC seems to be doing some work on the rock, but hard to know if that's my imagination.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you! Was struggling to find a match with some of the more common ones. I also had a red cyano outbreak a few weeks ago. Are the causes similar?

My CUC seems to be doing some work on the rock, but hard to know if that's my imagination.
Similar in a fashion

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it could be lyngbya. If physical removal doesn't work for you try out daily dosing of microbacter clean, it's the only thing that has slowly been winning my lyngbya battle after fighting it for months.

OP
OP
Cool Ethan

Cool Ethan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very helpful thanks guys. I'll start working on that physical removal and look into Microbacter Clean

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back