Alien Egg in Sand?

ryn_keeto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I’ve been running my Evo 13.5 for almost 2 months now. My Rainford’s Goby dug a lair out beneath part of my rock work and currently spends 95% of his time staring at me from inside. During one of our staring contests I noticed what looked like a smooth, ovular, egg-shaped thing with occasional pink bumps on it protruding from the sand. I have NO idea what it is. Here’s a picture.

E8588C78-F17D-475F-A478-813E32B8FEA8.jpeg

The green thing is his face poking out. It’s unfortunately the best picture I have been able to get...

My tank is captive-bred only, as I was hoping to minimize any hitchhiking. Here’s what I’ve got:

CaribSea Live Sand
CaribSea LifeRock
2 ORA clowns
1 Biota Rainford’s Goby
1 Biota Green Finger Leather
1 Biota Ultra Green Polyp Leather
1 WWC Aquacultured Xenia

Any ideas what the heck it could be? The Goby rubs up against it in an uncomfortable, he-should-probably-ask-permission sort of way. Here’s a pick of the whole tank, for fun.

E97BEC05-552F-41A4-974D-69C71CA75DE0.jpeg

It looks like an alien is going to pop out of the thing, so thanks for all your help!

OP
OP
ryn_keeto

ryn_keeto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right?! There’s not much more to it than that. It’s hard to get a good look at it, much less get my phone to focus on it...

And thanks!

Zakery Murray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ITS A BUBBLE!!! Sorry just kidding, I have no clue what it is,some people might get that reference on here.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Great question right out of the box. I have no idea but very nice tank set up.

And what ever you do don’t stick your hand in there ;Nailbiting

upload_2019-2-25_21-37-40.gif

OP
OP
ryn_keeto

ryn_keeto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions! After uploading the pictures I decided to just remove it. i Lifted the rock and scooped it out with some sand in a net, then put it in a ziploc with some tank water.

As far as I can tell, it was some sort of membrane holding what looked like a mass of brownish, greenish goop. Maybe my goby found a way to poop into a bag of sorts, or maybe he has been stashing algae wafers... he did always act super protective whenever I shone a light on it.

I have no idea, though. I should’ve taken more pics but couldn’t resist seeing what was inside - it didn’t take much squeezing or prodding to release whatever it was.

I’m interested to see if it comes back, or if it’s a one-time thing.

Super weird, though!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back