Alk dropped with calcium dosing?

alten78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening all!

I dose BRS 2 part via a bubble magus, alk is always dead on and I test it every other day with a Hanna Checker which comes out to 7.5. Calcium I'm a little more laxed on, once every week or two but it usually is around 420. Well it must've drifted down more than I thought and was 360 this morning. I brought it up to 410 with two separate doses, once this morning and once a few minutes ago. After so, I tested my alk which showed 5.6. Tested again and it was 5.4.

My demand isn't that much and I know I was at 7.5 two days ago, does dosing that much calcium bring alk down that much? Obviously I want it back to is usual 7.5 so would dosing it back up that quickly do harm?

Last edited:

g5flier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calculator on BRS recommends not more then 1.4 increase in a day. Personally I wouldn’t go more then 1. Then make sure it’s stable, that’s the most important as long as it’s within the recommended range. If you have SPS go even slower.

Last edited:
OP
OP
alten78

alten78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calculator on BRS recommends not more then 1.4 increase in a day. Personally I wouldn’t go more then 1. Then make sure it’s stable, that’s the most important as long as it’s within the recommended range.
Right, but if it dropped 2 because of dosing my thought would be to take it back up to that quickly because that is where it always is. I could definitely see not raising it quickly if i wanted to go from 7 to 9 but to me it makes sense to at least get it back to 7?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alk did not likely drop that much just because you boosted calcium. If you believe the alk is currently that low and isn’t testing error, then raising it 1 or 2 dKH per day back to your target is fine. [emoji3]

OP
OP
alten78

alten78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alk did not likely drop that much just because you boosted calcium. If you believe the alk is currently that low and isn’t testing error, then raising it 1 or 2 dKH per day back to your target is fine. [emoji3]
Thanks Randy. How much of a drop would be normal in this situation?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy. How much of a drop would be normal in this situation?

Nothing special, really. The drop in alk would be similar to what you would see maintaining calcium and alkalinity it at that same higher level. There is certainly some precipitation in any tank at NSW levels or higher, but raising calcium from a low level to a normal level only takes a lower level of precipitation to a normal level. :)

OP
OP
alten78

alten78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very strange that it was off so much since its been so stable for so long, ill double check all of my equipment and keep a closer eye on it. I thought for sure it dropped that much from dosing, thanks again!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back