Alk swung

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I’m stumped here I just did a 80% water change to lower my nutrients I have a Biocube 32g with approximately 25g of water volume I took out 20 gallons and added 20 gallons of freshly mixed salt, I just recently switched to IO purple from RC I’ve did a 20% wc since the switch but today I did 80% and now my alk is 13.8!!! Literally changed nothing but my salt mix and I mixed it at 77 degrees and checked it with refractometer which was showing 1.025 I just can’t for the life of me figure out why it swung from 9.7 to 13.8 any help or advice is much appreciated I can’t move any corals due to not having anywhere to put them they’re all mad accept my clove polyps and leathers

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20230113-182705.png

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IO mixes with high alk. Not usually 13, that would be IORC, but if you didn't mix the container of dry salt before using, some things may have been more concentrated in the portion you used.
What do you mean mix the container of dry salt before use?

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IO mixes with high alk. Not usually 13, that would be IORC, but if you didn't mix the container of dry salt before using, some things may have been more concentrated in the portion you used.
I only called it an emergency because well tbh ima kinda freaked out and hear that large of a swing is potentially deadly

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean mix the container of dry salt before use?
I mean exactly what I said. Depending on the brand, how long it's been in the bucket or bag, and how the bucket/bag/box was handled and stored, there's a chance that things aren't completely uniform throughout the container and that each batch you mix will have different parameters.

That being said, any time you do a large (over 30-40%) water change, it's a good idea to test the tank and the new saltwater to be sure you won't be causing a drastic change - in particular, to salinity, temp, and alk.

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean exactly what I said. Depending on the brand, how long it's been in the bucket or bag, and how the bucket/bag/box was handled and stored, there's a chance that things aren't completely uniform throughout the container and that each batch you mix will have different parameters.

That being said, any time you do a large (over 30-40%) water change, it's a good idea to test the tank and the new saltwater to be sure you won't be causing a drastic change - in particular, to salinity, temp, and alk.
What corals do you have, and why did you do such a large WC? If you were trying to correct a problem with the WC, that problem might be the cause of the coral looking unhappy

I’ve always checked temp and sg but I’ve never thought about checking alk well I will from now on!!

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals do you have, and why did you do such a large WC? If you were trying to correct a problem with the WC, that problem might be the cause of the coral looking unhappy.
Nutrients no3 was 56.9 and po4 was 0.13 I have a nano so big wcs is the key to lowering them from what I’ve been told and read

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always checked temp and sg but I’ve never thought about checking alk well I will from now on!!
Not generally needed with 10-20% water changes, but if replacing almost all your water? Definitely necessary if you have coral.

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did these values bother you? Had they been steadily increasing?
Yes due to me my over feeding I’m going to assume I also had some filteration issues I discovered which I’ve since fixed but yes they’ve went up over time my trends wasn’t headed anywhere Good imo

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such large WC are usually kept for emergencies on small (mostly pico) sized tanks, but they are as rare as they can and should be. Your nutrients were generally fine, as long as your corals look healthy you don't need to do anything drastic like this.

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such large WC are usually kept for emergencies on small (mostly pico) sized tanks, but they are as rare as they can and should be. Your nutrients were generally fine, as long as your corals look healthy you don't need to do anything drastic like this.
Chasing numbers ‍♂️ it’s a terrible thing to do I know it and you know it but yet I’m still obsessed with it

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, what's done is done, the question is what would be the correct path for you now moving forward.

Generally, when you have an Alk swing you would gradually get back to the original levels, however Alk swings aren't usually as sudden and drastic as this one is.
My line of thinking here is that it might be drastic enough to cause more harm as is than to try to get it quickly back down to around 10dKH, but this also depends on how much time have passed since the WC that originally caused it.

Do you have any other source of either low all seawater or salt? Any close LFS/local reefer around that could help?

Important thing to note - SPS are more delicate than others and LPS wouldn't take this lightly either, keep this in mind.

OP
OP
Chucky

Chucky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, what's done is done, the question is what would be the correct path for you now moving forward.

Generally, when you have an Alk swing you would gradually get back to the original levels, however Alk swings aren't usually as sudden and drastic as this one is.
My line of thinking here is that it might be drastic enough to cause more harm as is than to try to get it quickly back down to around 10dKH, but this also depends on how much time have passed since the WC that originally caused it.

Do you have any other source of either low all seawater or salt? Any close LFS/local reefer around that could help?

Important thing to note - SPS are more delicate than others and LPS wouldn't take this lightly either, keep this in mind.
No unfortunately reefers here are few and far between, the closest lfs is an hours drive it’s 7:30pm ct here now they all closed at 6pm I finished up the water change at approximately 3:20pm

Back