Alk up to 16, but corals are doing fine, should I just leave it?

Tayreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 20 gallon and its about 15 months old. My alk is 16, ph 8.4-8.5, calcium around 460, mag 1500. Nitrate is 6, and phos is .3. Im working on getting the phos down with water changes and brightwell phos e. Im just wondering because most people keep there alk around 8-10. But mines never hone below 12, i dose kalk to maintain high ph and water evap. Im wondering since my corals dont seem bothered by my alk being on the extreme side of high. If I wanted to add new corals what would be the best way to acclimate them? Thanks for any suggestions!

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd triple check the alk is really that high before doing anything. I can't tell you how many decisions I've made over the years because of a bad test kit (or two).

I personally wouldn't keep a tank that high... whenever my alk has gotten higher than ~10 it just feels like corals are in fast-forward mode, making them more sensitive to everything, both good and bad. But that's just my experience.

If you decide to make an adjustment, I'd just do it slowly over the course of weeks by slowing down kalk and/or water changes.

OP
OP
T

Tayreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is kalk the only thing you dose? What salt mix? RODI water?

what test kits used? 16 is pretty high
Ya thats all i dose, i use mainly hanna checkers for alk, phos, nitrate, and ph. Red sea for calcium, and aqua forest for mag. I use brightwell neomarine salt, ro water. It was 16 yesterday and today is 14.1, weird how it dropped. It goes up about 1 dkh per day till i do my weekly water change

OP
OP
T

Tayreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd triple check the alk is really that high before doing anything. I can't tell you how many decisions I've made over the years because of a bad test kit (or two).

I personally wouldn't keep a tank that high... whenever my alk has gotten higher than ~10 it just feels like corals are in fast-forward mode, making them more sensitive to everything, both good and bad. But that's just my experience.

If you decide to make an adjustment, I'd just do it slowly over the course of weeks by slowing down kalk and/or water changes.
Ya its not consistently that high, it fluctuates between 12-16 over the past year. Ive tried turning the kalk down or off and surprisingly the corals respond badly. Im just wondering because ive been told not to chase numbers and to just leave things alone if your corals are fine. But everyone else keeps it less than 12. But maybe my tank is just different idk!

OP
OP
T

Tayreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a fresh bottle, i back checked it with my red sea alk kit and its the correct number, i think my alk is just high

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a fresh bottle, i back checked it with my red sea alk kit and its the correct number, i think my alk is just high
With your low nutrients levels and that high of alk your corals should be toast but hey every tank is unique. I'd still have my LFS run your numbers.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of corals do you have, how big and how many?

If you have a bunch of Softies and Slow growing SPS then you're adding kalkwasser for pH and alkalinity but there is nothing consuming the alkalinity. Pointless to add something if your system isn't using it.

You haven't given enough information to give you an answer to help you decide which direction you should go if any.

Dave B

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have said, I would validate that the reading is really that high. If so, and the corals are doing well, I would leave it and let it fall naturally a little over time.

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya thats all i dose, i use mainly hanna checkers for alk, phos, nitrate, and ph. Red sea for calcium, and aqua forest for mag. I use brightwell neomarine salt, ro water. It was 16 yesterday and today is 14.1, weird how it dropped. It goes up about 1 dkh per day till i do my weekly water change
Just my 2 cents, but I would try to decrease kalk to the point where it's not increasing daily but staying in the same ballpark day over day. This reads as if you are overdosing kalk and then the water changes bring it back down to planet earth.

While the corals may be surviving in this environment, but they could be doing even better with more stability.

Whatever you do or don't do, I would just go slowly. Sudden changes, like turning off kalk altogether, is almost always more damaging than a parameter that creeps over time.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to push it to 20-25 area... I like experiments on our marine pets!

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't run it long term that high . Just curious what's the pH in the tank ???

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%

Back