Alkalinity Increasing. How Come?

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I’m having some trouble with my Alkalinity going up and not sure why.

I don’t do water changes because i have a low nutrient tank and I have nothing but soft corals. My Alk and Calcium have always stay stable (Alk 10) (calcium 450) but recently I seen a slow increase and now my Alk sits at 11.5 but no change in calcium.

I dose ESV B-Ionic Nitrate daily to keep my nitrate stable at 10PPM and I broadcast reef roids twice a week to keep my phosphate stable at .05

If i don’t do either… I’ll lose both and fairly quickly. I have even tried feeding more but anyways… that’s what I dose or feed along with Reef Nutrition Live Phyto (once a week, 8 drops).

What are other reasons alk rises for no reason? Maybe I’m not noticing something here but any help would be appreciated.

Aaron

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What products are just for ammonia without adding the alk. I didn’t know that’s what happens!

This hasp recipes and discussion of the alk effects

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hasp recipes and discussion of the alk effects

Randy, thanks for sharing. I checked it out and it seems a little confusing to me. I’m not 100% understanding of it.

I’d like to try it once i obviously better understand what I’m doing.

What about pure potassium nitrates or sodium nitrate. Would that add Alk as well?

Def trying to better understand it’s just confusing. I don’t want my alk at where it’s at but dosing ESV isn’t gonna help. Just need some other alternatives. Maybe i should add more fish to my 20 gallon. I have a sixline and two clowns.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand. Dang, as much as I’m trying to better understand the ammonia route… I’m having a hard time grasping how to do this way.

Folks in that thread are dosing ammonium and not having problems. Is that the concern?

bkwonnn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be something you did which has upset the corals and stopped them from consuming alk

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be something you did which has upset the corals and stopped them from consuming alk
They never really consumed alk since i started. If i had LpS… i bet i wouldn’t have this issue since they love Alk and Cal.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that really just the fact on how much to dose on a daily bases and what not.

That's only determined by slowly ramping up the dose until you detect nitrate rising (or, unlikely, detect significant ammonia).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back