alkalinity questions???????????

nkelr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after meeting with john today, i learned that i should start testing for alk if i want to keep sps. since today ive never tested for this or knew too much about this. i went home and looked through my misc fish box and i found an aqua pharm alk test kit that i didnt even know i had. according to the test (if i did it right) my alk is around 6dkh. wanted to know if this is good or bad and how people go about correcting it.

acanman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these are the specs for keeping sps and most lps..Ca - 380 - 460ppm
dKH - 8 - 12
Mg - 1250 - 1600ppm

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk is one of the most important factors in keeping any stony corals.

Here are a few articles that you should read through. They will really help you.

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine - Chemistry and the Aquarium: What is Alkalinity?

A Simplified Guide to the Relationship Between Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium and pH by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/may2002/chem.htm

This is enough to get you started. LOL!!

If you want more info or have specific questions don't hesitate to ask.

Jeremy

Last edited by a moderator:

Bri Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the test kit is more than a year old, id take its results with a grain of salt, mine start to go bad after a year (in the chemistry forum they don't recommend using them if there 1+ old)

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The articles are a great start. Alk is only part of the equation. In addition to having close to natural seawater levels, stability is equally important. This includes everything from alk, pH, temp, salinity, etc... Any swings of any kind can be super hard on them and sometimes fatal.

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To correct you can buy the mix I showed you and adjust your levels. First though, I'd certainly test nitrate and phospate. The tap water you've been using surely contains some of each unless you are blessed with perfect source water to your house, which is highly unlikely.

In order to keep a 'reef' style tank you may want to consider posting exactly how your tank is set up and its current parameters - including nitrate, phosphate, alk, calcium, magnesium, and pH. In order to successfully keep stony corals long term, you will probably need to make some changes in slow stages to correct some things that will inhibit your success. This is gauged differently by different people, but corals can virtually live forever if cared for properly. Success is measured in years, not months.

Bri Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note, salt mixes are made to mix with pure water, so when your done mixing you have water that is as close to natural sea water as possible. Sea water is super saturated, meaning it can't hold much more than it is already holding with out precipitating some stuff out.

Test your tap water. What is the Alk? Now mix up some water with RO/DI and test the Alk? You would have added those 2 numbers together, and more than likely toped the charts and so some would precipitate out.

Do you get precipitat when you mix you water? (white particals at the bottom of the bucket)

Sorry if Im confusing the situation, hope this helps.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The articles are a great start. Alk is only part of the equation. In addition to having close to natural seawater levels, stability is equally important. This includes everything from alk, pH, temp, salinity, etc... Any swings of any kind can be super hard on them and sometimes fatal.

+1

Reef chemistry is definitely where it begins to have a successful tank.

The most important thing I have EVER done in the hobby is reading up on reef chemistry and learning what it takes to obtain stability.
Alkalinity is directly corrolated to Magnesium and Calcium. So testing for all three at the same time is a very good idea, and what I do on a weekly basis at least.

OP
OP
N

nkelr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok after alot of reading i need somebody in the neenah area to help me out and test my water for all these things. if anyone out there can help me out, my tank would thank you.

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The few articles I posted are only the very basics of water chemistry, but a very good starting point. If your interested in reading/learning more, send me a PM I'd be happy to send you many more very helpful articles about water chemistry.

I'd do some testing for you but I'm about 15 miles west of Wausau so unless your up for a drive I can't help in that area.

If you did want to make the drive, I have some frags I need to get rid of to make some room. No cost, just willing to help out another reefer and enjoy living by the pay it forward concept. Just let me know.

Good luck.

Jeremy

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nkelr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i might just take a ride out there to see your tank. i was just reading your thread on rc and WOW. i would never be able to pull that one off with my wife. that is amazing. i am so amazed im at a loss for words.

OP
OP
N

nkelr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
next step is to install solar panels on your house to keep your electric bill down:)

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's been quite an ordeal and a great experience. I've really gotten a lot more done, I just haven't had the time to post pics and details to what's done. I'm nearly finished with the plumbing and will so be beginning the aquascaping. Now the fun part of the project begins!

Jeremy

OP
OP
N

nkelr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just hope you dont plan on moving ever again. i would never want to move that thing again.

OP
OP
N

nkelr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey bri thanks for helpin me out yesterday. after you left i went and got some phosguard to put in my filter. i stopped at jeffs place only because he gives out free brine shrimp when hes there. next step in a little bit i am going to do a 25% water change. then i will start with the baking soda. maybe after i get back from my business trip i will do another one. after that ill get the baking soda and really dial in my alk. maybe i can get my tank on the right track soon.

Bri Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 147 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back