Alkatronic used with kalkwasser reactor?

mike wright

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
This question is mainly for someone with experience using the alkatronics built in dosing system. Is it possible to use the alkatronic to dose from a kalkwasser reactor.

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same question. Wondering about using the alkatronic to simply dose kalk -rather than using ATO. I have used a BRS dosing pump with held up, but wondering if anyone has had issues with kalk destroying there alkatronic or similar dosing pumps.

OP
OP
mike wright

mike wright

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same question. Wondering about using the alkatronic to simply dose kalk -rather than using ATO. I have used a BRS dosing pump with held up, but wondering if anyone has had issues with kalk destroying there alkatronic or similar dosing pumps.
If used with a kalk reactor, I don't think it would cause any damage. All that would be passing through the alkatronic is RODI water feeding the reactor. At least this is how I would like to use the alkatronic.

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an alkatronic. I wouldn't recommend this approach. You'd likely wear out the pump quite quickly (kalk is quite a weak provider of Ca/KH - ie you'd require gallons of it per day to meet your demand, depending on your system size), and kalk is best dosed slowly due to its effect on pH. You could perhaps make it work with calcium formate rather than kalk, which would allow a concentrated solution.

However, I'd recommend using the alkatronic as a backup and only to help dial in your main dosing pump/method. If you use it as your main doser for kalk/calcium formate, in addition to the speed of dosing and the wear on that pump, you'll have to wait for your alk to drop below whatever threshold you set, rather than maintain it, and the alktronic will be re-testing every two hours or so because of the "low alk" scenario.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back