OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing photos of @OrionN P. octataenia I think I would like to add one. Will it get along with a C. Exuisitus already in the tank, RSR525 60x22x22. Any others that might play nice?
I do have a pair of Bimacs that keep the exquisite wrasse in check. Any wrasse additions need to be a bit on the tough side. I am thinking that several wrasses might distribute their attention.
With that size of tank, you'll be okay. Quite a few other choices could work out fine also.
I plan to start a large tank (10'-12') build in a few years, and would love to have several different flasher wrasse (among others) 4 or 5, i have a read in a couple places that they sometimes don't get along with anthias. But Hunter and TJ didn't seem concerned when a similar question was posed.
I really haven't ever seen it be a problem.
I would however imagine if you tried mixing some of the more difficult and touchy anthias species with the more assertive planktivores like the scotts fairy wrasse and the likes, that they may bully the anthias.
I definitely could see the case where that ends up being a problem, though.
@evolved Is it normal for Royal Falsher Wrasse to lay on its side?
Definitely not; a sure sign of a problem. What the problem may be, I could only really guess.
A friend had a Pintail and Golden Rhomboidalis Wrasse together, so I decided to try it and no aggression what so ever
isosceles is rather mild, and rhomboidalis is pretty peaceful too. I've kept them together a couple different times just fine.

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing anthias and wrasses has never been a problem for me. Ive mixed lyretails, flavvogutatus and randalli with flashers (mccoskers and linespot), pencil, leopard and tamarin wrasses. I would however imagine if you tried mixing some of the more difficult and touchy anthias species with the more assertive planktivores like the scotts fairy wrasse and the likes, that they may bully the anthias. So i guess it depends on what species you're mixing. But normally is fine if you select wisely.
With that size of tank, you'll be okay. Quite a few other choices could work out fine also.

I really haven't ever seen it be a problem.

I definitely could see the case where that ends up being a problem, though.

Definitely not; a sure sign of a problem. What the problem may be, I could only really guess.

isosceles is rather mild, and rhomboidalis is pretty peaceful too. I've kept them together a couple different times just fine.

I wouldn't plan to keep anything as assertive as a scotts, however and this may be a little off topic for the wrasse thread but which anthias are the more difficult or touchy ones that wouldn't get on well with the more assertive ones?

Thank you both for taking the time to help!

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
however and this may be a little off topic for the wrasse thread but which anthias are the more difficult or touchy ones that wouldn't get on well with the more assertive ones?
I'm not really versed well enough there to say, I'm afraid.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't plan to keep anything as assertive as a scotts, however and this may be a little off topic for the wrasse thread but which anthias are the more difficult or touchy ones that wouldn't get on well with the more assertive ones?

Thank you both for taking the time to help!
The more deep water species like ventralis, flavvogutatus complex, princess anthias, tuka/evansi/pascals. Randalls and pulcherrimus can be a bit skittish too ,theres most likely more to the list than i can recall, but if you add the anthias first and allow them to become established they generally should mix fine if youre not keeping any of the more agressive fairies.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^The peaceful anthias listed above can be intimidated a little by some of the more aggressive anthias, but usually nothing worrisome happens.

However, some of the more aggressive anthias, such as cooperi, rubrizonatus, and squammis, can intimidate some of the more peaceful fairy and flasher wrasses.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any problems keeping a pistol shrimp (or other prolific burrower) with a sand sleeping wrasse? I know some people's shrimps keep to one part of the tank but that's definitely not my guy. His empire extends under every structure in the tank. Not worried about the safety of the shrimp, more the surprised wrasse that he digs up!

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any problems keeping a pistol shrimp (or other prolific burrower) with a sand sleeping wrasse?
None that I've ever heard about - not a specific thing that I have experience with.
Not worried about the safety of the shrimp, more the surprised wrasse that he digs up!
I'd imagine that would be a wrasse that quickly scurries out of the sand. Sort of like what you'd do if someone grabbed your foot while you were sleeping. ;Wacky

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None that I've ever heard about - not a specific thing that I have experience with.

I'd imagine that would be a wrasse that quickly scurries out of the sand. Sort of like what you'd do if someone grabbed your foot while you were sleeping. ;Wacky

LOL thanks for the great reply. I want to do my best to keep a happy tank and try to predict where paths might cross. The shrimp has actually shown himself to be quite peaceful over the year I've had him, just very very busy!

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is yellow coris wrasse and melanarus wrasse reef safe and don’t eat snails and shrimps?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is yellow coris wrasse and melanarus wrasse reef safe and don’t eat snails and shrimps?

Coral safe. Pretty safe with inverts. Full-grown 4+" adults may go after small snails and shrimp. Cleaner shrimp should be fine. Both fishes are worth keeping.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral safe. Pretty safe with inverts. Full-grown 4+" adults may go after small snails and shrimp. Cleaner shrimp should be fine. Both fishes are worth keeping.
Agree. Smaller snails are definitely at risk, and small shrimp (think, sexy shrimp) will be quick snacks.

Bleakborn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question;

Since you seem to be an expert on wrasses, I currently have a Tanaka Pygmy wrasse and I think I might have picked up some montipora eating nudibranchs and I am wondering If my wrasse will eat them?

and if not I am considering adding a yellow wrasse to the tank to help deal with them, is it possible that they could get along or do I have to find a different way to control theses pests?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you seem to be an expert on wrasses, I currently have a Tanaka Pygmy wrasse and I think I might have picked up some montipora eating nudibranchs and I am wondering If my wrasse will eat them?
Adult MENs would be too big for a possum to eat. Newly hatched nudis might be on the menu, but I wouldn't count on it.
and if not I am considering adding a yellow wrasse to the tank to help deal with them, is it possible that they could get along or do I have to find a different way to control theses pests?
Compatibility wise it would be okay, but I wouldn't put a Halichoeres in a 40 cube.
Consider a pink streak wrasse instead.

Regardless, any pest eater is unlikely to eradicate a nudi issue.

Bleakborn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adult MENs would be too big for a possum to eat. Newly hatched nudis might be on the menu, but I wouldn't count on it.

Compatibility wise it would be okay, but I wouldn't put a Halichoeres in a 40 cube.
Consider a pink streak wrasse instead.

Regardless, any pest eater is unlikely to eradicate a nudi issue.

Thank you for the quick response! I wasn't planning on leaving the yellow in for long term. But I'll look into the pink streak and/or peppermint shrimp long term.

as for the possum he seems to keep my bergiah population in check along with brown flat worms, but he might just be special.

on a side note; I believe my possum is a male and was thinking at some point would like to add a female, would that be advised or do you think he would beat her up?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on a side note; I believe my possum is a male and was thinking at some point would like to add a female, would that be advised or do you think he would beat her up?
The genus is NOT sexually dichromatic - there is no way to tell. Don't do it.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have melanarus and royal flasher in the tank. I plan to add yellow banded possum wrassse and ornate leopard wrasse. Will this cause an issue? @evolved

Last edited:
OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have melanarus and royal flasher in the tank. I plan to add yellow banded possum wrassse and ornate leopard wrasse. Will this cause an issue? @evolved
Compatibility is fine, but I wouldn't put any Macropharyngodon species in a tank less than 75 gallons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 105 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back