All Delight's 39 Gallons of coral reef

All Delight

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Cadlights 39 Pro running 150 Watt HQI 20k, stock sump, Bubble Magnus NAC 3, Vortech MP10 ES, Koralia 750. Tank has been setup since July 2010.

I missed the opportunity to blog about my tank since day 1, so I figured the next best is start from 1 year anniversay.

Fish are 1 Kole Tang, 4 Ignitus Anthias, 1 Elongate Pseudochromis. My anthias are my favorite fish. I initially started off with 5 of them. One had a infection, some kind of wound on the side that I didn't see when I bought him. I tried feeding them frozen mysis, no. Froze brine shrimp, no. Live brine shrimp, no. Frozen cyclopzee, no. My last resort, Reef Nutrition Tigger Pods, YES instantly they took liking to them. $20 for 6 oz bottle lasted me 4 days. So I tried frozen again, no. Back to the LFS for some Tigger Pods. Ok they better start taking frozen cause I can't afford $40 a week to feed these guys. After consuming the second bottle of Tigger Pods, I tried frozen mysis again, this time cutting them with a razor blade into thirds thinking maybe if they're smaller they'll be easier to eat. Finally!! They took a liking to frozen mysis cut up. They don't like frozen brine much, nor do they like frozen cyclopzee much. They will eat it but not with the same enthusiasm as mysis. Eventually I cut them into halves and now they will take the mysis as whole pieces.

Corals are mostly LPS and some softies. My tank is dominated by Acans, over 25 different color morphs. I have a few nice Yumas, Palythoas, and a few chalices.

OP
OP
All Delight

All Delight

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a frag of a paly I recently acquired. I'm not a avid paly collector, but this is one I had to have.

It was traded to me as "Candy Apple Orange".

IMG_5461crop.jpg

Last edited:

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice candy there the zoas/palys seem to grow on people especially under moonlights or actinics nice shot of your c.a.o

OP
OP
All Delight

All Delight

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice candy there the zoas/palys seem to grow on people especially under moonlights or actinics nice shot of your c.a.o

Thanks. My fixture does support actnics, but I don't use them cause my bulbs are old and I'm being too cheap about buying new ones. LOL

Nice Darrell.

Thanks Cody

Bugg_zy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice acans! I only dream of keeping em colored up like that. Mine always turn red :cry:

OP
OP
All Delight

All Delight

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice acans! I only dream of keeping em colored up like that. Mine always turn red :cry:

Do you buy ones that have been captive for a while? I find a lot of times the ones that just come in have a higher chance of shifting colors.

OP
OP
All Delight

All Delight

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my watermelon chalices. Don't think this one has any fancy names, I acquired it from a local reefer.

IMG_5617.jpg

Bugg_zy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you buy ones that have been captive for a while? I find a lot of times the ones that just come in have a higher chance of shifting colors.

The were actualy an amazing freebie from Mike at Sexy Corals. After doing more reading I am sure I should have kept em really shaded to try and keep thier colors. I have been thinking of starting a thread on wich ones seem to hold there color the best. I would hate to buy some really expensive ones only for the same thing to happen. This is a bad pick, was taken right after I got them so they were still unhappy, but you get the idea. I was so heartbroken to see them just turn red.
ac85db4a.jpg

And now(the on the bottom):

Minicans.jpg

I have since put them in the shade, and saw a tiny baby forming underneath that has alot more color in it. Also the ting of green I see in the pic I cannot see in person :neutral:
That is one sweet chalice!!!

Last edited:

RaeRae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pics man. Im glade to see Im not the only problem with them turning red. I just refuse to buy any more for that same reason

OP
OP
All Delight

All Delight

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The were actualy an amazing freebie from Mike at Sexy Corals. After doing more reading I am sure I should have kept em really shaded to try and keep thier colors. I have been thinking of starting a thread on wich ones seem to hold there color the best. I would hate to buy some really expensive ones only for the same thing to happen. This is a bad pick, was taken right after I got them so they were still unhappy, but you get the idea. I was so heartbroken to see them just turn red.
And now(the on the bottom):

I have since put them in the shade, and saw a tiny baby forming underneath that has alot more color in it. Also the ting of green I see in the pic I cannot see in person :neutral:
That is one sweet chalice!!!

I don't know how long Mike had that one so, it's hard to say. I'm not sold on the fact that keeping it shaded would have kept it's colors. Many of my rainbows are not kept in low light. In my post #11, the first acan is one of the highest placed corals in my tank and those are the colors it achieved. Of course that rainbow has been in captivity for at least 3 years now. I've gotten several acans from vendors "new shipments" and those are the ones that most likely to shift colors.

The new growth you are getting that is showing a more color and a ting of green is exactly how rainbows new growth is. Many of my acans that are sprouting new babies without light are green and orange, then as they mature they change to the colors like the rest of the colony.

OP
OP
All Delight

All Delight

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pics man. Im glade to see Im not the only problem with them turning red. I just refuse to buy any more for that same reason

Thank you. But like I told Bugg, buy rainbows that have been captive and established. Not the wild ones, you'll have better luck. They cost more, but less risky.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back