All for reef vs reef fusion

Pridedcloth3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's it going? I'm currently running reef fusion 2 part in my tank and I'm using more part 1 than 2 and would like to keep things even. I was thinking all for reef powder to make up 2 l and just make the switch. Anybody wanna chime in on any pros to afr? I never used it and don't really wanna switch just to go back.

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's it going? I'm currently running reef fusion 2 part in my tank and I'm using more part 1 than 2 and would like to keep things even. I was thinking all for reef powder to make up 2 l and just make the switch. Anybody wanna chime in on any pros to afr? I never used it and don't really wanna switch just to go back.
I switched from Fusion 2 part to All for Reef about 3 weeks ago just to simplify things. It's early still but growth has been great and colors seem better too, but again it's early still so I hate to attribute it only to that just yet. I only run a 20g tank though so I don't go through too much, up to 8mL daily dosed via pump overnight on an SPS heavy tank. Ask me again in 3 months lol

For me, I always struggled balancing the Alk and Ca properly. I would get my number I wanted and go for that, not necessarily what was "balanced." All for Reef makes it so I don't have to worry about that as much. I have dosed Fusion2 I think once, small amount to boost Alk when I first started while it was getting in the system. But other than that it's held solid at 420-440 CA and 8.0-8.4 dKH. Something to note, the bottle tells you to adjust dosing according to Alk. The Tropic Marin guy on here actually stated it's easier to monitor it by Calcium as that is in the water column immediately, where as the Alk is delivered differently so you don't see a measurable impact in the tank right away. That's why when I switched, I helped boost the Alk once the first few days while it got established.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pridedcloth3

Pridedcloth3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from Fusion 2 part to All for Reef about 3 weeks ago just to simplify things. It's early still but growth has been great and colors seem better too, but again it's early still so I hate to attribute it only to that just yet. I only run a 20g tank though so I don't go through too much, up to 8mL daily dosed via pump overnight on an SPS heavy tank. Ask me again in 3 months lol

For me, I always struggled balancing the Alk and Ca properly. I would get my number I wanted and go for that, not necessarily what was "balanced." All for Reef makes it so I don't have to worry about that as much. I have dosed Fusion2 I think once, small amount to boost Alk when I first started while it was getting in the system. But other than that it's held solid at 420-440 CA and 8.0-8.4 dKH. Something to note, the bottle tells you to adjust dosing according to Alk. The Tropic Marin guy on here actually stated it's easier to monitor it by Calcium as that is in the water column immediately, where as the Alk is delivered differently so you don't see a measurable impact in the tank right away. That's why when I switched, I helped boost the Alk once the first few days while it got established.
I have the same issue with balancing to the point I just let it be what it is. Thanks for the feedback

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, Reef Fusion is not properly designed for 1:1 dosing, despite Seachem’s claim that it is. Makes one wonder if they get that simple requirement wrong (by their own product info) what else that is more complicated in a two part do they not get right?

OP
OP
Pridedcloth3

Pridedcloth3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, Reef Fusion is not properly designed for 1:1 dosing, despite Seachem’s claim that it is. Makes one wonder if they get that simple requirement wrong (by their own product info) what else that is more complicated in a two part do they not get right?
I noticed that. Right at this moment part 1 is at 30oz while part 2 looks to be 43oz. So with that you can tell I'm using more part 1 which is the reason I'm looking to switch.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Reef Fusion recipe has too much calcium in it:

OP
OP
Pridedcloth3

Pridedcloth3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Reef Fusion recipe has too much calcium in it:

After reading that it explains the reason I'm using more of part 1. Even though I prefer to have cal at around 450ppm the amount to do so is excessive. Just a quick rundown is a 29 gallon jam packed with stony coral so everything gets used up fast. I've been able to keep cal in the range I mentioned and alk around 9dkh where I just let it be instead of bouncing numbers around and maintain sg at 34-35 ppm. Up to this point the entire tank is doing fine but again I buy 2L bottles so at this rate by time both storage tanks are empty I'll have a extra bottle of part 2 just sitting around.

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading that it explains the reason I'm using more of part 1. Even though I prefer to have cal at around 450ppm the amount to do so is excessive. Just a quick rundown is a 29 gallon jam packed with stony coral so everything gets used up fast. I've been able to keep cal in the range I mentioned and alk around 9dkh where I just let it be instead of bouncing numbers around and maintain sg at 34-35 ppm. Up to this point the entire tank is doing fine but again I buy 2L bottles so at this rate by time both storage tanks are empty I'll have a extra bottle of part 2 just sitting around.
Part of why I switched myself, just simpler to dose one for both Ca and Alk as well as trace elements. Also knowing they're balanced helps. I keep some Fusion2 around in case my Alk dips, but it's only happened when I was first switching. Been solid since.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 33 49.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back