All personel around madison county

mike_dani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reefers, I am new to this board but think I have made a friend or two. I need to ask all of you a favor.

I am in need of a PAR meter so I can see what my lighting is doing for a week or two so I can dial in my new lights. I had a NARC member make me a great canopy for MH's and have retrofitted it with two HO T-5's with two 250w MH's. It is now all wired up and running but I would like to get some PAR readings and move lights if need be. Can anyone help

Thanks in advance
Mike

TritonsGarden

Coral Farmer Wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I could help Mike. A PAR meter has been on my wish list for quite awhile but I just can't justify the cost for the little time that I would use it. Would be cool if NARC members could all pitch in and buy one to share.

Jack

jason.tammy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never looked one up to price it,but how exspensive is one?
Jack, hope you and Kathy are doing well.I know you have wanted one for quite some time.

OP
OP
mike_dani

mike_dani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a two fold question one is can I borrow it and it sounds to me that if Jason and Jack don't know of anyone then there is probably not one around. and then the most important one was going to be if you own one can you teach me how to make sense of the readings you know a good old fashion training class........

From what I have been reading PAR is an actual value of light intensity and Flux is an actual measure of spectrum.

I find in my mind both would be beneficial to a club but very expensive 300.00 plus each. I would love to know my intensity at different levels to better place corals for optimum health (not growth) and then use the flux on quarterly intervals to evaluate the health of my bulbs spectrum.

I think I have begun to ramble so I will stop now

jason.tammy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the feeling all to well.We installed several new tanks and knock on wood so good so far.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recall 8Ball has one. I have a lux meter instead. It is not easy to justify the cost of par meter since we use it so infrequently (I actually used my lux meter only once or twice.)

I can generally tell if I need a new bulb by looking at my corals. Most people replace bulbs at a certain interval rather than metering the PAR anyways.

When we get a new coral, we llight-acclimate it by placing them in a lower area of aour tank and watching the response of the coral. They are pretty forgiving and more durable than you think.

Having one for the club is a nice idea, but in reality it seems to create a management nightmare. Either ETRC or MTRC has one, but they seem to have a difficulty finding the exact location of it periodically.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 95 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back