Alternative sump with small fuge for Reefer 170 System (34 Gal) - Red Sea

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I just upgraded my smaller tank from a 15 gal to the 170 system by Red Sea (34 gal) and I’m looking to change the sump since I don’t like the one that comes with the system. Mainly cause there’s no room for a refugium or to grow any micro algae/pods at all so I’m wondering if anyone knows any sumps that could fit in the stand that comes with the tank. Also would greatly appreciate equipment recommendations for this system as well (reef light, return pump and wave maker)

noobster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't the oem 170 sump already the entire size of the cabinet's footprint? I think people have turned the stock ATO reservoir into a refugium.

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't the oem 170 sump already the entire size of the cabinet's footprint? I think people have turned the stock ATO reservoir into a refugium.
It’s not, there’s still some room in the stand I guess if you need room to fit uv and algae reactors. That’s why I want to change the sump before I set this tank up

noobster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah gotcha, well if you can't find an alternative sump, here is what I was referring to:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 101 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back