Alternative to factory ps for Radion XR30W G4

ShepherdTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmate locker overflowed a few months back and destroyed all there radion ps and I was going to take my tank down. Fast forward a few months and I’ve fallen for a girl with 2 kids and all three of them want me to keep the 210. I looked up the power supplies and $140 each seems rediculous, but I remember someone saying they purchased a non-OEM power supply for a 1/4 of the price. I searched and didn’t see anything on eBay and wanted to see if anyone would mind linking it for me. Anyone purchased aftermarket ps for these? Thanks!

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you need to do is match the specs on the PS. It’s just a powersupply.. Buy from online electronics parts stores.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmate locker overflowed a few months back and destroyed all there radion ps and I was going to take my tank down. Fast forward a few months and I’ve fallen for a girl with 2 kids and all three of them want me to keep the 210. I looked up the power supplies and $140 each seems rediculous, but I remember someone saying they purchased a non-OEM power supply for a 1/4 of the price. I searched and didn’t see anything on eBay and wanted to see if anyone would mind linking it for me. Anyone purchased aftermarket ps for these? Thanks!
Which Radions?

What is the output of the orig?
Replacing power supplies is usually quite easy except for the plugs..

OP
OP
ShepherdTech

ShepherdTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went searching based on those specs couldn’t find one. Can you take a picture of the label on the power supply. Searching can be easier with more info.

I have the same lights but can’t access my Power supplies easily or I would look.

Also look at all the power supplies and see if they are identical specs and manufacture. Often companies will have several different brand supplies that they use for a product.

What I found so far, but not sure if that connector is correct.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShepherdTech

ShepherdTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went searching based on those specs couldn’t find one. Can you take a picture of the label on the power supply. Searching can be easier with more info.

I have the same lights but can’t access my Power supplies easily or I would look.

Also look at all the power supplies and see if they are identical specs and manufacture. Often companies will have several different brand supplies that they use for a product.

What I found so far, but not sure if that connector is correct.

Here is a pic of the label and appreciate you taking the time to help.

2D792E78-5923-4779-ADF7-7055D006B565.jpeg

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a thread where someone is showing a different power supply. So that might help in the search.

As with most electronics the component uses much lower amps than what the PS can provide. So the smaller PS will work.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t find the specific power supply they use. I would call Allied electronics or Mouser electronics and see if they can source that specific model.

An option is you could by 1 power supply and power all three lights.

Need to crack open an old powersupply and see how many wires go out to the connector. If it’s only two leads your in business.

Just put in in a spot where there is no water, or create an enclosure for it.

Last edited:

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a thread where someone is showing a different power supply. So that might help in the search.

As with most electronics the component uses much lower amps than what the PS can provide. So the smaller PS will work.

I wouldn’t ever advocate downsizing from OEM power supply capacity. The smaller you go, the closer to maximizing the PSU you get and the temperatures involved get significantly higher. That reduces power supply lifespan, increases risk of extreme failure, etc.

Believe me, if Ecotech could ship it with a cheaper smaller power supply, they would.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t ever advocate downsizing from OEM power supply capacity. The smaller you go, the closer to maximizing the PSU you get and the temperatures involved get significantly higher. That reduces power supply lifespan, increases risk of extreme failure, etc.

Believe me, if Ecotech could ship it with a cheaper smaller power supply, they would.
Go read the post before you go off. Ecotech use to ship with the smaller one..

Ecotech could have changed Power supplies for any number of reasons.. Most likely they could get the newer style cheaper. But the other ones could have been discontinued, not as reliable or what ever.

Howieumd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for similar. Was there any luck finding something similar? I have 6 Radions and 2 of my power supply’s recently died. Not quite sure if completely dead, the green light on the power supply is a lot dimmer and doesn’t seem to be pushing the proper amount of power to power the actual fixtures anymore, so running on just 4 Radions right now. It’d be nice to get all 6 back up, but paying $150+ each to Ecotech just for power supplys is a little ridiculous to me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back